Integrated weights, Yes or No ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The US Divers Sea Master BC has a very effective, almost mechanical type of fastener. They don't use velcro at all, and I don't see how it could possibly come undon on it's own. I personally use the SeaQuest Black Diamond, which has very large patches of velcro, that have never come undone on me either. Take your pick, there's plenty of good BC's out there, but only a few great ones....

Mario = )

Originally posted by Tocantins
Another good piont is if the BC is the one weight you can not remove it under water, if you like I do carry two full regs may want to close the air flow in to one because you just had an o-ring pop under water.

To the contrary, I dive with a weight intergrated BC and all my weight is in the BC. I have no problem removing the BC at depth and replacing it. Sure when you take it off you tend to float up with your feet above your head, but as long as you don't let go of the BC you will stay down. And even if did let go, you can still maintain depth by finning. I practice this skill as well as many others on alot of dives just incase I ever need them for real.

Just my .02 worth - I dive with integrated weights and find they are much more comfortable when I'm in the water than with a belt. On-board is another matter. I now wait until I have the BC on, but not tightened, before putting the weights in. This works for me; everyone seems to have worked out their own system.
Good luck.

Warhammer
I don't know how big is your personal density but mine makes the procedure your outlined a very tiresome and indeed improbable one. Next in line to this little reason is that at 25 mts with a shortie that is probably possible but whith a 7mm 2 piece full wetsuit at 15mts it looks more like a mirage.
You all say to get the weights in the BC after, how many wheights do you drop to the bottom of the ocean every 10 dives? How steady is the boat you usually do this on? What is more easy to accidentaly release? Which is safer? Which has most cost-value?

My density? I'm 6'1" & 225/230lbs, I'd say fairly bouyant.:) I haven't tried it wearing a 7mm full suit though. But I have done it several times wearing a 3mm full suit at 20ffw on a training platform. I've never been in a situation where I had to take it off while submerged. But like I said, I routinely practice it as well as other skills in a local quarry. A 7mm suit would definately make it more challenging, but I think it can still be done. As long as you don't let go of the BC you will still stay down. What I usually do is get negitively bouyant, and doff the BC, left arm first then the right arm. I keep the reg in my mouth at all times and lay the BC down with the tank down on the platform with the tank valve towards me. By the time I do this, I'm verticle in the water with my feet above my head due to my body being bouyant. I then just put my hands through the BC's shoulder straps and grasp the tank. Then just pick the unit up, over my head, and onto my back. As soon as it's on my back, my feet come down and I hook all the straps back up. It takes practice, but so does most other things scuba related. This was a big focus point during my O/W instruction. Our instructor insisted that everyone be able do it. We all used weight-intergrated back inflation BCs in the exercises. Sure it's a little unsettling when your feet go above your head and you get the sense of losing control, but as long as you don't let go of the BC, your bouyancy as a whole doesn't change, just your position changes. If I were wearing a 7mm suit/drysuit though, I probably would wear a weight belt, but mainly to spread all the weight that would be required out.

As far as when I put my weights in goes, I always put the weights in the BC prior to donning the BC. But I can physically handle the BC with weights, so it's no big deal. I've yet to drop weights. I've seen others put the weights in after entering the water and haven't witnessed any dropped weights as a result. But I've seen people forget them altogether and try descending without them.

The seas get rough here too, but the charter boats have a place to sit down and donn your gear(at least the ones I've been on) and rough seas are only a problem when you get up and make your way to the entry point. But I don't see how that's a factor in this discussion, since a rocking boat is difficult no matter what kind of BC you have.

Accidental release? With the Zeagle BCs, the BC I use, it would be virtually impossible to accidentally release the weights. You have to physically pull the Rip cord which is also held down by velcro. Sure you could hang it on something and possibly release it, but you could just as easily hang a weight belt buckle and release it.

Which is safer? I feel that safety comes with being properly trained, being comfortable, and having fun on the dive. I'm properly trained for the BC I use. It being weight intergrated makes me more comfortable because I don't have to deal with a weight belt getting loser as I go deeper, hurting my sides, nor weights shifting around. Being more comfortable also makes the dive fun.

Which has most cost-value? That's user preference. I think weight intergration BCs are because of the above reasons, but they are generally higher.

If I were engaging in tech dives, cave dives, or something of that nature then I may not use intergration features for some of the reasons you pointed out. But IMHO, for the everyday Recreational Diver they are great.

Lot of good points from everyone. It still comes down to personal choice. The integrated weights are expensive, at least the pockets are. I buy lead shot, fill zip lock bags and then sew them into canvas bags. I use 2,3,4, and 5 pound bags so I can adjust the weight depending on the situation. It's cheaper making your own than buying them premade. When I was wearing a weight belt I paid $125 for a 25 pound belt. I would have hated to have to dump it.

As for the pockets releasing themselves I like the idea of the buckle. I have a quick release attached to the pocket and the D ring just below the weight area. If the pockets self dump now at least they won't fall away from me. My buddy knows now she has to release the buckle as well as the velcro if need be.

I have a Zeagle Scout BC and love the weight integration! I have never had a problem with weights dropping out and would never even consider going back to an uncomfortable weight belt! Just thought I'd share my Zeagle opinion as I think they make a very excellent product, even their low end products are excellent.

Happy Diving...

Warhammer, thank you for such a lengthy repy, I hope that my entusiasm in the defense that weight integration i~s not all advantages has not been offensive in any way, that was not my intention and if that happened I hereby present my most sincere apologies. Your points are very much good ones and maybe I'm just old fasioned. Thank you for the good swaping of ideas. If you ever come to Portugal specialy Lisbon, drop me a line, my email is etrodrigues@clix.pt. be hearing from you. Until then everione please remember to drop a line why use or not integrated wheights.

Thank you all for your comments on this subject. I also have a zeagle scout with weight integration. It is newly purchased and I have only used it once. Prior to that it was weight belts all the way. In fact the first time I used the Zeagle, I left the wieght on my belt because I wasn't sure about the weight integration thing. I did finally put my weights in the pockets and I was impressed. I was wearing a 7mm w/ hood and gloves and carried about 24lbs. I put the weights in before I put on the BC and didn't have any problems there. I hadn't considered the issue raised by Warhammer about removing the BC underwater. Apparently that is a skill I will have to work on.

I suppose the bottom line is, I can't yet offer an educated opinion on weight integration, but I am very grateful to have a forum such as this to learn from. Hopefully, with more experience, I can pass on what was so freely given to me here.

Thank you all again for you comments on this issue.

Frank

Tocantins:

I always enjoy a good debate, and no offense taken. If your ever close to me, give me a ring as well.

Back
Top Bottom