Instead of the Mk2, how about these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a little less money, I'd go with the all SP package. MK25 is excellent, G250HP performs well, maybe not for very cold water, inexpensive octo either way. One brand my simplify service. jEither package would be fine, much better than your initial choice

The Scubapro is cheaper.
Is it that important to keep the octo the same brand as the rest?

not at all, just more convenient when you get service. If SP is cheaper, and a better deal than what you are seeing around here, I'd say $350 is about the top of what I would pay for either of them if they were serviced recently.

The Scubapro is cheaper.
Is it that important to keep the octo the same brand as the rest?

Not really it just makes it easier for servicing especially if you follow the service intervals. The Atomic is 2 years and a cheap octo probably won't be. But that's all depending if you follow that guideline.

SP no longer is yearly..... hasn"t been for years.... plus, with no warranty, you service when needed. some of mine are on year 5 or 6....

SP now says "24 months or 100 dives" and, I assume, it is whichever comes first.

SP no longer is yearly..... hasn"t been for years.... plus, with no warranty, you service when needed. some of mine are on year 5 or 6....
The "recommended" service has been 2 yrs/100 dives for quite a while. I'm with @rhestfall, service when needed

Sorry for duplicate, @guruboy beat me by a minute :)

SP now says "24 months or 100 dives" and, I assume, it is whichever comes first.

yeah I vote for whenever they need to be cleaned, no longer have stable IP, or start leaking... I usually aim for a max of say 5 years because of potential soft part degradation and the lube drying out, especially with O2 lube, but 12 and 24 months is way too short ime

If tje SP can go the same interval as tje Atomic that makes the most sense fir me. I have more options to have it serviced.

Scubatoys is an Atomic dealer but they dropped Scubapro (being a dealer) some years ago IIRC. I'm sure they can get parts for the R195 if needed but ask.

Since you're buying used, service intervals and warranty don't apply.

The only exception I can think of - and I DOUBT it applies - is that Atomic will re-instate a lapsed warranty under certain conditions - esp. if you pay for the more expensive factory service. Since it's a B2 - there's no current upgrade path - some of their other models allow upgrading to the latest version. So your B2 will come back as a B2 but the service will likely be double what it costs at Scubatoys.

I don't think it applies once there's an ownership change though.

To answer your original question, I'd take either over an Mk2 since both are fully balanced and it's not. Also Mk2's have been around since 1963 with not a lot of changes except enviro protection - the Evo in the new MK2/Evo...

All the Atomics breathe identically - the difference is the materials used in construction and swivel(s). I believe the Mk25 is still the top of the Scubapro line.

Due to the seat saver orifice, don't submerge both Atomic stages simultaneously when rinsing (if not under pressure) as the design can allow water to seep back up the hose into the 1st stage. If you forget, hook it to a tank and purge some air thru it to dry it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom