Inflator style Alt Air...do you love yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one on my Seaquest Black Diamond BC, which I no longer use. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but after considering actual use in a failure case, as well as practicing during simulated exercises, I decided it wasn't appropriate for me (not going to comment on whether it is appropriate for you.

My reasons for not using it have been made in other posters' responses so I won't elaborate. I ended up putting a traditional octo on my reg setup (when I still used the Black Diamond), and I'd continue to do so if I ever use it again. When I did use it, I preferred to switch to the Airsource and offer the primary.

Since then, I've gone to a BP/W with a bungeed octo and make sure any dive buddies know that the protocol is that I will offer (or they will take) the primary reg, not the octo. In either case, I've practiced using both in simulated failure cases (in case the buddy grabs the wrong reg). Works for me and the guys I dive with.

If you choose to use an integrated inflator/octo, consider and practice your failure cases. Same goes if you dive with someone who uses one.

This setup with and Air2, small wing, and hoseless AI comp would be nice and streamlined!

HowWeDive.png

Last edited:
just what your going to attatch that Air2 to ?

no wing, no inflator, no hose

I would venture that it's because the hose is so short on a standard regulator, the one your donating
... if you want to travel any distance with that setup someone is going to be on their back , and it's still tight .. another reason to get a longer hose for your reg than the short one it comes with

I can see that point about having a longer hose for your primary and it's certainly valid and something to think about. But that, of course, is a function of the length of the primary hose. It has nothing to do with having a combo set-up for your octo as far as I can tell.

sorta indirectly .. as that is the way they are sold and it does have that affect ... I really think that they should encourage those that do want an inflator/reg to switch out the stock hose on the primary for a longer one.
Mine is 42" and routed under my arm (I very much like that) while it does have a swivel (good one) you could just as easily use a angle fitting, or a miflex hose

Mine is 42" and routed under my arm (I very much like that) while it does have a swivel (good one) you could just as easily use a angle fitting, or a miflex hose

My primary, Atomic T2X, has the swivel. Between that and the custom mouthpiece, I never ever get any jaw fatigue no matter how long my dives are. I have thought about the miflex as well but hear mixed reviews on it.

But back on topic, whether a person has a combo or a standard octo, you're saying you think a person should go ahead and switch out the hose on the primary to a longer one. Right?

Only for the combo, in an octo set up your donating the octo so thats what has the longer hose .. with a combo inflator your donating your primary and the standard length on them is just too short for use in air sharing, if you have a hold on the other persons BC, and straighten your arm, you will be pulling on the reg, maybe clear out of their mouth ... it was unacceptable for me and I changed it out immediately

Personally, I like having the longer hose on my primary, the routing is much better (can see in my profile pic) and would have it that way no matter what alternate setup I had

I will be swithing out to a regular backup at some point and purchased another G250 for that purpose

I said earlier that I have to hold the Air2 to my body to keep it from hanging way down , you can see what I mean by my profile pic, and this one ...
under arm routing ... I think you would need longer than 42" hose without having that angle/swivel at the reg

So what in the world does an oct/inflator have to do with the above story? :confused:

If the guy who donated his primary to the guy OOA had a more traditional octo instead of the combo, how does that change the story? The spg needle still gets stuck. They still get swept past the mooring line because it takes no more time for the guy to grab his combo and donate his primary vs grabbing a more traditional octo and donating his primary. You say they bump into each other swimming back but how does that change? The guy with air donates his primary either way. Are you saying if the guy with air had the tradional octo he would have donated that instead instead of his primary and it would change the swimming dynamics for both of them?

Because the short primary hose forces the divers to swim chest to chest, making it virtually impossible to kick efficiently. If a longer hose were used, they could swim side to side and avoid bumping into one another.

Please don't get me wrong, if you like your set up, then stick with it. The integrated octo definitely has certain advatages over other configurations, esp when it comes to travel. A first stage with only a transmitter, a second stage, and an inflator hose is a nice, light, simple, space-saving, set up.

My opinion stems from teaching students with Atomic Z2 first and second stage and an SS1. The standard hose that comes on the Z2, imo forces the divers to be so close to one another whilst sharing air, that it interfers with other skills as mentioned in previous posts.

Last edited:
Because the short primary hose forces the divers to swim chest to chest, making it virtually impossible to kick efficiently. If a longer hose were used, they could swim side to side and avoid bumping into one another.

So if a diver had a combo inflator and a longer primary hose, then it seems problem solved.

I guess I see all the time on here that people say in a panic situation where another diver is OOA, he/she is going for the first thing they see which is your primary. So you donate your primary and take your octo, especially if you have an octo on a bungee around your neck. But what difference does it make whether your octo is more traditional or the combo unit?

So I go back to your original story why a combo is a bad idea. It appears to me that the combo set-up had nothing to do with what happened. Yes, a longer primary hose would have made the swim back easier but that's a function of the length of the primary hose and not the result of having a combo.

So if a diver had a combo inflator and a longer primary hose, then it seems problem solved.

So I go back to your original story why a combo is a bad idea. It appears to me that the combo set-up had nothing to do with what happened. Yes, a longer primary hose would have made the swim back easier but that's a function of the length of the primary hose and not the result of having a combo.

Yes, that solves the (potential) problem if the longer hose is routed well. I say "potential" because the problem only arises in an OOA situation. In a calm direct ascent, even with a safety stop, there still isn't much of a problem. The problem arises when the OOA situation is coupled with complications such as current, boat traffic that would prevent a direct ascent, etc.

The little story that I used as an example didn't occur because of the integrated octo. OOA would have happened no matter what due to a faulty SPG. The guys missed the mooring line and the tag line because they couldn't kick effeciently so they were adrift at sea for an hour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom