Inflator style Alt Air...do you love yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because the short primary hose forces the divers to swim chest to chest, making it virtually impossible to kick efficiently. If a longer hose were used, they could swim side to side and avoid bumping into one another.

Switch to Miflex hose. No problem. No need for longer hose.

I love the inline octo. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Ditto, why complicate things? I always know just where it is and grab it several times every dive.

I have a full-sized tire under the bed of my truck. Last 6 trucks, in fact. Don't recall every having to use it, though I've found the donut-types to work just fine on passenger cars. If that spare was in my lap under my chin, or rattling around back in the bed, you can bet I'd swap it for a donut.

Yeah I agree. I personally already use miflex hoses on my second stages, and they really are flexible and light. My wife tried my reg and now wants me to take the swivel off of her B2 and replace it with a 26" miflex hose.
Of course the rental gear at our shop is set up the with the hoses Atomic puts in the box at the factory, so I will still have to put up with students struggling a bit.

People definitely shouldn't change their gear if they like it, just because they read people's opinions on Scubaboard. :D

Is that going to address the problem of having too short of hose on the primary in anything other than an almost insignificant way?
The problem is not one of flexibility, it's one of having a hose length that makes air sharing more stressful, and dependent on doing it "just so" to avoid pulling the reg from their mouth

What???? Does a Miflex hose stretch? I won't argue for or against the evil Miflex hoses, but changing to a Miflex will not negate the need for a donatable reg on an adequate length hose.

+1 on the Miflex, but +1 on it being 5' long as well. Also, this additional length lets you do the Hogarthian wrap, which streamlines you by keeping the entire hose nice and close to you under normal circumstances. Works great whether your backup is bungeed under your chin or integrated with your inflator.

Husbands is on a miflex, still same problem, too short. I love him and all, but get out of my space, type of short.

Is that going to address the problem of having too short of hose on the primary in anything other than an almost insignificant way?
The problem is not one of flexibility, it's one of having a hose length that makes air sharing more stressful, and dependent on doing it "just so" to avoid pulling the reg from their mouth

If you think that it's cool to do rec diving with 7-ft worth of hose wraps around your body, then go for it. For the rest of the divers in the world, the shorter hoses work just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom