Inflator style Alt Air...do you love yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only reason I use one is that I really like the controls on it better than the standard inflater. It is not comfortable to breathe from and doesn't breath well. But, if I was going to be using it, it would be to surface immediately so that doesn't bother me. Just my thought.

I have my AirII adjusted to breath fairly well or at least to do what I am supposed to do and that is to go up to the surface. I'd compare it to the Sherwood Brut performance.

BTW, it is possible to add a rear dump valve to a BCD if you wanted one.

I would like to know how that is accomplished, since during manufacture of a new BC, the dump valves are installed before the bladder is sealed.

I would like to know how that is accomplished, since during manufacture of a new BC, the dump valves are installed before the bladder is sealed.

I'm not sure it will work with a separate bladder, but I installed a Dive Rite OPV in the rear of an old Scubapro BCD. Cut a hole just big enough to insert the inner piece, give the exterior sealing surface a couple coats of neoprene cement and let it dry, and assemble the outer two pieces and rubber seal. Works fine.l

When you fold the hole in half the valve nuts fit through sideways.

I would like to see those who love their inflator style alternate air comfortably use that during their whole dive. I could use my octo during a dive and would not be able to tell the difference. So why pay a bunch of money for something that only works marginally unless you got so much stuff attached to your BC you could not easily find your octo. Or you are a gadgetman. To each his own........

I would like to see those who love their inflator style alternate air comfortably use that during their whole dive. I could use my octo during a dive and would not be able to tell the difference. So why pay a bunch of money for something that only works marginally unless you got so much stuff attached to your BC you could not easily find your octo. Or you are a gadgetman. To each his own........

I don't know why you want to do that. The AirII is for a specific purpose, getting you up to the surface.

Why do you say that it "works marginally"? Perhaps the word "marginally" is not the appropriate word. :confused:

I use a BP/W now but on my Zeagle Ranger I had a Octo-Z. You have to breath out of this Octo/Inflator gizmo and you donate your main regulator. Trying to breath out of this unit is unstable and the inflator hose pulls the mouth piece. Not good in an emergency air share situation. For real life situation, I'd choose a separate octo. Streamline is sort of arbitrary. We have lumpy tanks, valves, weight belts, bc etc so another hose doesn't really do much.

I use a good regulator as my back up with a bungee around my neck. I donate my main regulator. I really like having my backup reg with the bungee because it is always right where I need it and can insert it in a second. In an emergency stuff happens, grabbing hands, wrestling, who knows. It can be very handy if you loose your main regulator for any reason. Kelp hang up, beach exits where waves can knock you over etc.

I could use my Airsource 3. No problem. It breathes well and is balanced. I often switch to it during a dive and use it, just to make sure that it functions properly if I should need it. At one point I had a Hollis 321 for an alternate. I really prefer my Airsource 3 to the octo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom