Inflator style Alt Air...do you love yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using AirSource/AirII for the last 23 years no problem including OOA situations (one involved a stray diver who is not my buddy out of nowhere coming to grab my primary). Here are my views on some points:

1. I don't confuse the AirII with my snorkel!! I know where everything is and "how it feels" for me be to be able to discern the difference with my eyes closed even when using mitts or dry gloves. I know where everything is attached also. Folks who confused one piece of equipment with another in an emergency, they probably never practiced using their equipment to the point where they know where it is by reaching for it without having to see it (just like finding your nose with your finger without having to stand in front of a mirror to see where it is).

2. I use a 42" LP hose for my primary and run it under my arm in addition to a SS swivel. The little extra length will allow me to donate the primary SS and still be comfortable to both divers. I run it under my arm to avoid the hose sticking out and possibly get caught on something and more importantly it allows me to be in control of the ascent. I want to avoid the OOA diver being out of my reach during their panicky attempt to get to the surface, I want to be in control/charge. I usually throw the 42” SS hose for free to my customers when they buy a regulator/AirII setup no problem. I’d also throw the SS swivel for free to my customers depending on their loyalty and attitude.

3. In a real OOA situation especially when the OOA person has no air in their lungs, they will grab the only thing they see in front of them blowing nice sexy air bubbles, the primary SS in the donor's mouth. Even in the scenario where the donor has a standalone Octo, the OOA person would most likely grab the donor’s primary SS not Octo.

4. Some folks note that the AirII type setup is difficult to breathe from U/W. This is because they probably don't have it tuned properly. Most technicians are overzealous in de-tuning the AirII on the idea that they don't want it to free flow. I don't think that this is necessary. I tune AirII’s just below the free flow point and its performance U/W is adequate for an emergency situation.

5. Ability to inflate/deflate BC with AirII: I don’t know why people would have difficulty doing it unless they, again, are not familiar with their equipment or lack experience. I see people struggle with using their BC inflator especially the oral inflator on standard BC LPI all the time. This is clearly due to the fact that students don’t spend enough time practicing their skills and becoming experts in the use of their equipment in courses and in their diving. There is absolutely no need to use both hands if one is familiar with their equipment. I frequently observe that divers struggle with their standard LPI and have to use one hand to hold it and the second hand to press the buttons.

6. Someone mentioned that they are concerned about their ability to dive while on vacation should their AirII hose becomes problematic and no spare is available. If this is a concern, I’d take a spare hose with me or have the ability to go “manual” during my diving on that trip. There are also adaptors that would convert from quick disconnect to AirII connection. I don’t find this issue a problem one way or another.

7. When you buy an AirII or an Octo and they are connected to the same air supply as your primary, they are most likely of no use to you. They are used to help your buddy not you in the greater majority of the time.

8. I practice OOA breathing scenarios on regular basis with my regular dive buddies if available. If you don’t practice them, you will have a problem with ANY type of contingency setup you have no matter how easy or good it is IMO. In contrast, ANY type of contingency scuba will be a problem with “insta-buddies” especially if there was no discussion or actual practice of emergency procedures before the dive. Without practice and agreement on the conduct of emergency procedure including OOA situations, ANY procedure will become problematic and possibly lead to a catastrophe regardless of it is an Octo or AirII. People’s brains turn to “mush” and they are all “thumbs” in emergencies U/W especially in OOA. Without prior agreement and adequate practice, even simple tasks will become difficult to do U/W.

At the end, I don’t believe that either way is superior to the other as related to use for emergency. AirII setup, however, is less clutter. Both need practice and “intimate” familiarity to the point where one can do it with “eyes closed.”

If you think that it's cool to do rec diving with 7-ft worth of hose wraps around your body, then go for it. For the rest of the divers in the world, the shorter hoses work just fine.
1 - I dont
2 - they are

... and you would know that if you had read my posts in this thread , or looked at my pics posted here

I have been using AirSource/AirII for the last 23 years no problem including OOA situations (one involved a stray diver who is not my buddy out of nowhere coming to grab my primary). Here are my views on some points:

1. I don't confuse the AirII with my snorkel!! I know where everything is and "how it feels" for me be to be able to discern the difference with my eyes closed even when using mitts or dry gloves. I know where everything is attached also. Folks who confused one piece of equipment with another in an emergency, they probably never practiced using their equipment to the point where they know where it is by reaching for it without having to see it (just like finding your nose with your finger without having to stand in front of a mirror to see where it is).

2. I use a 42" LP hose for my primary and run it under my arm in addition to a SS swivel. The little extra length will allow me to donate the primary SS and still be comfortable to both divers. I run it under my arm to avoid the hose sticking out and possibly get caught on something and more importantly it allows me to be in control of the ascent. I want to avoid the OOA diver being out of my reach during their panicky attempt to get to the surface, I want to be in control/charge. I usually throw the 42” SS hose for free to my customers when they buy a regulator/AirII setup no problem. I’d also throw the SS swivel for free to my customers depending on their loyalty and attitude.

3. In a real OOA situation especially when the OOA person has no air in their lungs, they will grab the only thing they see in front of them blowing nice sexy air bubbles, the primary SS in the donor's mouth. Even in the scenario where the donor has a standalone Octo, the OOA person would most likely grab the donor’s primary SS not Octo.

4. Some folks note that the AirII type setup is difficult to breathe from U/W. This is because they probably don't have it tuned properly. Most technicians are overzealous in de-tuning the AirII on the idea that they don't want it to free flow. I don't think that this is necessary. I tune AirII’s just below the free flow point and its performance U/W is adequate for an emergency situation.

5. Ability to inflate/deflate BC with AirII: I don’t know why people would have difficulty doing it unless they, again, are not familiar with their equipment or lack experience. I see people struggle with using their BC inflator especially the oral inflator on standard BC LPI all the time. This is clearly due to the fact that students don’t spend enough time practicing their skills and becoming experts in the use of their equipment in courses and in their diving. There is absolutely no need to use both hands if one is familiar with their equipment. I frequently observe that divers struggle with their standard LPI and have to use one hand to hold it and the second hand to press the buttons.

6. Someone mentioned that they are concerned about their ability to dive while on vacation should their AirII hose becomes problematic and no spare is available. If this is a concern, I’d take a spare hose with me or have the ability to go “manual” during my diving on that trip. There are also adaptors that would convert from quick disconnect to AirII connection. I don’t find this issue a problem one way or another.

7. When you buy an AirII or an Octo and they are connected to the same air supply as your primary, they are most likely of no use to you. They are used to help your buddy not you in the greater majority of the time.

8. I practice OOA breathing scenarios on regular basis with my regular dive buddies if available. If you don’t practice them, you will have a problem with ANY type of contingency setup you have no matter how easy or good it is IMO. In contrast, ANY type of contingency scuba will be a problem with “insta-buddies” especially if there was no discussion or actual practice of emergency procedures before the dive. Without practice and agreement on the conduct of emergency procedure including OOA situations, ANY procedure will become problematic and possibly lead to a catastrophe regardless of it is an Octo or AirII. People’s brains turn to “mush” and they are all “thumbs” in emergencies U/W especially in OOA. Without prior agreement and adequate practice, even simple tasks will become difficult to do U/W.

At the end, I don’t believe that either way is superior to the other as related to use for emergency. AirII setup, however, is less clutter. Both need practice and “intimate” familiarity to the point where one can do it with “eyes closed.”

That's about the best response I've seen on the subject! Thanks for that. It addresses most of the myths of why an AIR II is "dangerous" or "trouble waiting to happen".

If you think that it's cool to do rec diving with 7-ft worth of hose wraps around your body, then go for it. For the rest of the divers in the world, the shorter hoses work just fine.

I think it is very cool to dive with the appropriate equipment to be able to safely donate a known working regulator to a diver in need while being able to safely and comfortably maintain proper positioning required for the situation and enviroment.

Hmmm. I guess I'm splitting the baby here.

I use MiFlex hoses for my primary and my SS1 octo/inflator and a Phantom hose for my AI computer since the HP MiFlex hose sucks. The primary hose is the standard length, whatever that is.

I don't think my primary hose solves the problem of me banging heads and knees with a fellow diver in an OOA situation since I don't think the MiFlex makes any difference in that regard. But I don't want to deal with a longer hose. I've never tried it but a longer hose just seems like more to pack, more to deal with and a potential hassle underwater.

What to do, what to do...

Hmmm. I guess I'm splitting the baby here.

I use MiFlex hoses for my primary and my SS1 octo/inflator and a Phantom hose for my AI computer since the HP MiFlex hose sucks. The primary hose is the standard length, whatever that is.

I don't think my primary hose solves the problem of me banging heads and knees with a fellow diver in an OOA situation even though it's MiFlex. But I don't want to deal with a longer hose. I've never tried it but a longer hose just seems like more to pack, more to deal with and a potential hassle underwater.

What to do, what to do...
Compromise

that's 42" with a swivel (a good one) on reg, I think with a couple more inches and miflex, there would be no need for a swivel or an angle fitting

Last edited:
The bottom line is usually the same when talking about gear configuration. Everyone will tell you "their" way is the best. It comes down to your safety and comfort and that of your team or buddies. The best gear in the world wont do you any good without practicing with it. Practice often. You will learn to be comfortable with your gear, or perhaps learn it's shortcomings and make adjustments as needed to suit your dive style and enviroment. Take advantage of other diver or shops willing to let you try different configurations. Find what works FOR YOU. That way you don't have to say, "I have never tried it but..."

Very good words robertarak :)

I think another important thing ... is finding out information (yay SB) so that you dont have to say "I didnt know that" :)

I agree but a couple comments:

The first time I had a Scubapro authorized dealer service an Air2, it just breathed terribly. I took it back and he tried to tell me they had to be de-tuned to prevent freeflows. Reluctantly, he adjusted it and made it worse. Back we go again and after telling me I was wrong, he discovered he was adjusting the orifice in the wrong direction.

While I believe I have seen an LPI to Air2 adapter, they are hard to find because the LPI connector design with a schradder valve is not capable of delivering the higher volumes of gas needed for comfortable breathing in all cases. If you can stay calm you will probably be OK. When we travel, I always carry a spare Air2 and a spare Air2 hose for my wife's rig. She has about 600 dives and has never had a problem with either.

WOW!! 1 day old thread and already almost 80 replies. I use them whenever diving with family or recreationally. My AIR2s are tuned to breath as well as my standard Scubapro 2nd stages. Like the simplicity when traveling.

Never use it when teaching however as new students aren't ready to handle anything other than a standard 2nd stage.

One thing to note is when using an AIR2 in an out of air situation, you must give the other person your 2nd stage and use the AIR2 as your reg so you still have control of your inflater. I have seen others try to use them the incorrect way and that is an accident waiting to happen! As an aside, whenever I have had to deal with a out of air diver in a panic situation, they have always grabbed at my own regulator in my mouth so I am perfectly happy and comfortable just picking up my own alternate and using it, whether it was my AIR2 or a standard reg.

Back
Top Bottom