Inaugural Rocky Mountain Oyster gathering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickster:
on sunday we dive until about 11:00 in the morning. I would much rather do the meeting on one of my off weekends, maybe turning it into a three day weekend. Hey, just a suggestion, what about Navaho Res.? It is half way between the hole and Denver. Just a thought.
Rick

We just escaped, I mean moved down to Albuquerque from Colorado Spgs last year. I have NO INTEREST in ever driving back up north to dive. Brrrrrrrrrrrr, ugggghhhh, brrrrrrrr!!!

robint

I am interested in meeting you all as well. I already know Ron Frank. In fact, if any of you read his post on lessons learned for his AOW, I am the tag-along he mentioned. I am not sure what my schedule will be. Tomorrow I start a new job that will probably entail travel during the week, which would only give me weekends. For those local to the Denver/Metro, I would like to dive Aurora as soon as it is warm enough. I dove Perch Lake earlier this week, 49F. I dove with a 7/5 wet suit. After one dive we went back to Blue Hole to dive in 'warm' water.

If we've got a pass to drive a car up to the lake from the parking lot to transport gear, I'll be an idiot and come decked out for cave if anyone's interested in checking out the gear.

I've got a crazy Saturday schedule because of my diving at the Aquarium, other than that, April 9 & 10, May 7 & 8 and June 4-5 I'm out of town.

Hmmmm. Maybe if I list the Saturdays I'm diving COJ: April 16 & 23, May 21 & 28, June 25, July 2 & 30.

Roak

roakey:
If we've got a pass to drive a car up to the lake from the parking lot to transport gear, I'll be an idiot
Roak

If you're talking Aurora Reservoir, I now always get a placard to drive to scuba beach. I got tired of hauling my stuff up and down the dam. If there looks to be enough attendance, we should get more than one.

Hey guys.

I dive wet, and the Hole is the coldest I've been in, but I'm nuts enough to try any temp that's considered "sane" in a 7mm farmer john.

Saturdays are my best day, but I'd be willing to burn a day off at work for a Friday as well at Aurora Res. Best vis, and we'd have the place more to ourselves.

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Hole on the weekend of 13 May as well. She just bought her gear, and really wants to try it out somewhere, as well as practice skills. She's never been in cold water though, and I doubt I'll be able to talk her into actually diving at the Res anytime soon.

All I need is a date and a time. :)

knotical:
If you're talking Aurora Reservoir, I now always get a placard to drive to scuba beach. I got tired of hauling my stuff up and down the dam. If there looks to be enough attendance, we should get more than one.

Knotical,

Last summer they denied me more than one placard. The lady at the gate said she only had one to give.

Too bad Octotat is moving out. I was looking forward to meeting him as well.

EDIT: I just called the res. Temps are still in the lower 40's. How many layers do I need for that? :D

Wijbrandus:
Last summer they denied me more than one placard. The lady at the gate said she only had one to give.
Officially one group, one placard. I have seen three or four placards in use by different groups. If enough ScubaBoarders plan to attend, we could split into two groups for that purpose. Sometimes they also ask us to list people in the group. I'd. probably just list the people as Sam Knotical, Robert Wijbrandus, etc.

So I hereby commit to getting a placard. If it looks like large enough attendance, we can solicit a second person to try to get a placard for the "other group".

Bravo for the enthusiasm and ideas to get together. Let’s hope they all happen.
The best attended event would probably be an Aurora get-together after the water is warm enough for wet suit divers.

Rationale for Aurora:
More RMOs in Denver area - a shorter drive for many.
Blue Hole meetings will happen anyway as various folks go there for whatever reasons.
Navajo Reservoir appears not much closer (to Denver) than Blue Hole.

Rationale for when:
Not everyone can dive cold water. If we target 55 degrees, late May starts to make sense. June, July and August even better.

Using info from other posts to eliminate dates and assuming the July 4th weekend won’t work for some, that leaves as an initial sorting of dates:

May 29 (but note that May 30 is Memorial Day)
June 12, 18, 19, 26 ( but June 19 is Father’s Day)
July 9, 10, 16, 23, 24, 31
August 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 27, 28
September 3, 4, 10,11, 17, 18, 24, 25 ( but September 5 is Labor Day)
Then the water becomes uncomfortable again.

Further thoughts: Early morning arrival increases chance of a shot at a picnic table, and avoids afternoon thunderstorms. But this might eliminate Sundays for some, so a Saturday might be best, and a couple of us have expressed preference for Saturdays anyway.

So if we go with Saturdays only, that leaves:
June 18 ( but June 19 is Father’s Day)
July 9, 16, 23
August 6,13, 20, 27
September 3, 10, 17, 24 ( but September 5 is Labor Day)

Are there any more dates we need to eliminate?
After that, we probably should “vote” for the date we prefer.
I like sometime in June because it gives us a chance to do it again if we want to, before the summer is gone. Besides, it’s harder to predict schedules too far in advance.

None of this is intended to pre-empt any of the other get-togethers. The more the better.

So my suggestions:
1. Attend as many RMO functions as you can.
2. If necessary, eliminate other Aurora dates.
3. Vote yes on one or more Aurora dates.

I hereby vote for June 18 as my first choice, followed by any of the others in the shorter list above.

Old Post "Knotical, You get through all that, and then pick the one weekend between now and October that I know I will be out of state. Diving, but out of state."

Edit, Ok I'm retarded I'm out of town the week before. Barring anything unforeseen I should be there.

iowasnowboarder:
Knotical, You get through all that, and then pick the one weekend between now and October that I know I will be out of state. Diving, but out of state.
So I hereby change my vote to July 9th.

Back
Top Bottom