Inaugural Rocky Mountain Oyster gathering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnsnott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I took Knotical's idea and went for it......

As of April 1st Aurora Res will be open. I do not know the conditions (water level & temp) at this point. If anyone lives in the area, please drop by and check it out for us. Or if someone can actually get a ranger that knows what the temp really is (not just a guess) and the level, it would be great.

I'm going to be in Florida till the 10th of April, so any time after that would be good for me.

At this point, Rickster and I are the only ones that own dry suits. So the rest of you need to pick a cutoff temperature to dive.

The board is open, post at will Grizzly.....

Greg

It would be helpful if everyone who thinks they will come would identify what dates do and don’t work for them.
Are weekdays OK for you? Sundays? What days/dates can’t you be there?

Aurora Reservoir will not be available on July 17th because of the Danskin triathlon.

My last spring dive there was on May 24th, 2001 and the bottom temperature was 50 degrees. Perhaps we should consider mid-May as the earliest reasonable expectation of moderate temperature. It typically gets warmer through mid-August and starts dropping off by September.

Let’s try to narrow down the calendar.

Nice talkin with you at the Hole Greg,

I'm thinking of doing the April trip to the Hole, and Perch lake. I guess I'll discover what 50F feels like in a 7mm. I have a vest as well, so hey 14mm core even if I can't move!!

Any clue what the temps are now? I'm game whenever IF I'm not going to freeze my tail off....

Weekends work best for me, but Rick will definately be in NM on April 16th I believe, and I will likely be with him.

Dr. Frankenmule:
I took Knotical's idea and went for it......

As of April 1st Aurora Res will be open. I do not know the conditions (water level & temp) at this point. If anyone lives in the area, please drop by and check it out for us. Or if someone can actually get a ranger that knows what the temp really is (not just a guess) and the level, it would be great.

I'm going to be in Florida till the 10th of April, so any time after that would be good for me.

At this point, Rickster and I are the only ones that own dry suits. So the rest of you need to pick a cutoff temperature to dive.

The board is open, post at will Grizzly.....

Greg

Hey Ron, it's good to put faces with names. It makes the world a bit smaller....
Nice meeting you too.
I have dove to 50* with my two piece 5mm suit. It's pretty cold after about 15 minutes.
There is an Italian company that is making a semi dry 7mm suit with a new stretchier neoprene and it's actually thinner than a regular 7mm. I think they are around $300 if anyone is interested.

I can make the dives whenever anyone wants to do it.
I'm booked;
May 6-7 ADV EAN/Deco proc. Still four openings in the class.
June ??? B. Hole trip w/ the store.
July 29-30

Greg

I'm available after April 15th. I have a drysuit and a 7mm with 5mm overshorty. Have dived with both. 52 degree water in 12mm of neo was OK for 40 minutes at a time. Drysuit is the way to go. Maybe we should shoot for around May 1st, or Cinco de Mayo in NM!

Just remember that we are an hour and a half drive away in Albuquerque. We can do the Hole almost any weekend with a few days notice. Then we could all plan to do Perch and Blue Hole as a club meeting! Maybe a Sunday would work for those working with students.

robint (and family)

about that 7mm semi-dry. I think you were talking about the Austrian company Camaro. I have their 1 piece 7 mm semi-dry, and have thus far (6 dives) been very happy with it. I picked it up at Sierra Trading Post in Cheyenne, but you can order from them online as well. I know when i was in the store, they had a 2 piece 7 mm semi-dry clearanced at about $150, but it wasn't my size. Any other questions about this post please pm me, so we don't clutter the board. Thanx

I would be up for some dives later in April, I get back from FL on the 10th, so I will need a week or so to catch up on stuff. Although, I still have to go to Arizona to get my mother-in-law. I'm going to try and dive Canyon Lake when I head down there.

I'll be available for April 23rd or 30th to dive Aurora or Carter if anyone wants to do it. At Carter, I found out that if you go to the north side of the diving area, it gets deep fast. In fact, if we could get them to extend the dive area another hundred yards to the North and out a bit, we could hit almost 110'.

Greg

knotical:
It would be helpful if everyone who thinks they will come would identify what dates do and don’t work for them.
Are weekdays OK for you? Sundays? What days/dates can’t you be there?

Aurora Reservoir will not be available on July 17th because of the Danskin triathlon.

My last spring dive there was on May 24th, 2001 and the bottom temperature was 50 degrees. Perhaps we should consider mid-May as the earliest reasonable expectation of moderate temperature. It typically gets warmer through mid-August and starts dropping off by September.

Let’s try to narrow down the calendar.

I am available any three day weekends except, April 15th,16th,&17th. May 13th,14th,&15th for the blue hole, and June 4th thru the 11th of June (Bahama Trip). after that, the schedule for the Hole has not came out yet. Iam up for a local or the hole, get together.
Rick

robint:
Just remember that we are an hour and a half drive away in Albuquerque. We can do the Hole almost any weekend with a few days notice. Then we could all plan to do Perch and Blue Hole as a club meeting! Maybe a Sunday would work for those working with students.

robint (and family)
on sunday we dive until about 11:00 in the morning. I would much rather do the meeting on one of my off weekends, maybe turning it into a three day weekend. Hey, just a suggestion, what about Navaho Res.? It is half way between the hole and Denver. Just a thought.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom