Thermocouples clamped on gas tubing for reasonable-cost, continuous temperature monitoring of stage outlet temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have any specific suggestions at hand for thermal grease or epoxy available easily, affordably, and in small quantities, I'm all ears. A quick search for specific use compounds did not yield any stuff rated for my 500f minimum target. I needed the Copper anti-seize anyway, it is rated to well over 1000f, and with the copper, should be reasonably thermally conductive since it is relatively quite electrically conductive. I only need a dab at the thermocouple junction.

The thermocouples could easily find their way into an RPi / Arduino /ESP32 type control system integration eventually or even just a BT/Wifi server for remote monitoring. For now a $32 4-channel display seems pretty attractive to get me started.
No immediate suggestions—500F is pretty hot for epoxies. Your copper anti seize should work fine.

IR cameras are great for comparing temps, not so great for absolute temp measurement—they’re sensitive to the emissivity of what they’re measuring.
True, but for diagnostic work, absolute temp measurement isn't needed.

If you have an insulating cover, no need for thermally conductive goop coupling it to the tubing. Might be a degree or two off. There are bigger errors in using the basic thermocouple convertors for an Arduino. I fought that with Arduinos a few times. The dedicated thermocouple reader is a lot cleaner data.

Back
Top Bottom