I'm the Pariah again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

now that ain't that hard to do (old south context)
Can't do tabs...

Lose your buddy or your buddy loses you (note: usually the latter..)

DECLARE VARIBLE: OK
OK = true
DECLARE VARIBLE: Bubbles
bubbles = true
DECLARE VARIABLE: buddy (the person you are to be paired with and aware of)
buddy = true

DECLARE PROCEDURE: Check Buddy
IF buddy OK
bitch to buddy about swimming off without checking with you
IF buddy has attitude
Signal buddy you are terminating the dive
after satisfying dive requirements (decomp or stops)
goto boat or shore
ELSE
check air and dive time remaining, diver comfort and condition.
IF OK
Continue diving
ELSE
After satisfying dive requirements (decomp or stops)
Surface, signal OK
make way to boat together
once on board discuss how you became separated
be agreeable to prevent it from happening again.
I spent my time and money too!
ELSE
IF buddy NOT OK (or Not responsive)
do what you can to maintain diver
Surface with buddy in tow
Signal boat that you are NOT OK
Deal with it.
ENDIF
END PROCEDURE check buddy

BEGIN

look for bubbles
IF bubbles (Goto bubbles)
IF buddy
DO PROCEDURE Check Buddy
ELSE
Signal to other divers you lost your buddy
IF they know where the clown is and point him out;
Check air and dive time remaining
IF OK
IF bubbles (goto bubbles)
IF buddy
DO PROCEDURE check buddy
ELSE
you have looked for him long enough
Surface, signal OK, look for buddy
IF buddy
DO PROCEDURE check buddy
ELSE
goto boat or shore
ELSE
Surface, signal OK, look for buddy
IF buddy
DO PROCEDURE check buddy
ELSE
goto boat or shore
ENDIF
ENDIF
ELSE
surface, signal OK, look for buddy
IF buddy
DO PROCEDURE check buddy
ELSE
goto boat or shore
ENDIF
END

All three are also certified scuba divers, should we change our attitude towards all scuba divers?

Probably

The guy that started this post is a doctor, the only two knuckleheads on the boat were doctors.

I lowered a rope for you to haul yourself out of that hole. Looks like you're just tying a noose with it instead :wink:

Thank you to the poster for posting. I hope any rudeness does not prevent you from posting further about your experiences. I learned a lot from it. I have had an instant buddy only once. The last dive of classes. He dissapeared into the gloom before I had even stopped descending.
I always dive with either my daughter, long time friend or usually both. Quite frankly, if I lost my 14 year old or if she lost me, we would not be Okay in any shape or form. I would be signaling that I need assistance as fast as you can get here. Now, I know I should signal okay. Truthfully, I will most likely be too freaked out that I lost her to signal OKay but I do know better now.
I don't think it would ever happen. When there are 3 of us she is alway chosen dive leader. Good experience for her to verbaly explain the dive plan,record the compass coordinates and set the pace. In reality it was just so she would always be in our line of site. When it is just the two of us she annoys me because she is always on top, in front, or cutting me off below. I would never tell her that because it is an annoyance I can live with. I couldn't live with the alternative of loosing her. She also checks my air constantly. Of course I use more that her. I haven't weighed 110 lbs since I was 14 years old. I am not going to tell her that either. She is being a good dive leader by comparing our sac rates.

Thank you to the poster for posting. ...//...

Yes, this has become an unusually "rough and tumble" thread for Basic Scuba Discussions. Much of value in here. And the only way it was able to remain such, is that Matt hasn't called in the mods, could have easily done so several times.

Progress.

It's sad but often true joke in the medical profession. A doctor without a nurse is usually trouble - there are many old saying about this!

Situational Awareness seems to be the cause of a lot of Matts problems from my observation of his posts ,this one and previous posts.

A question for Matt - What have you learned from the responses to this thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom