ideas and suggestions on the design of the "perfect" dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually while were talking about the compass, I used an experimental underwater fluxgate compass some years ago, you pointed it in the direction that you wanted to go and pushed a button. It started to beep. If you deviated from the course to the right the beep came faster and higher pitched, to the left, lower and slower. Took a little practice, but pretty soon one could easily run a couple of hundred yards in poor visibility with very little error. Sounds like it could be doable here. I used another one that had a series of lights that worked pretty well too, but I like the audio input better.

Thanks for the input, I will look into possible solutions for the size issue. The base components may be able to be re-arranged in the case where they could possibly fit but we are trying to keep this thing a little smaller than our beloved EDGE. I will surely keep you updated

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very sorry you got an e-mail that says it will ship in 14-21 days. There must be a problem with the checkout software. I will look into that right now. On the order form it does state that we are shipping Q1-Q2 2012 which means if we go into backorder it may not ship until June or later.

Ooops I think you are referring to the iPhone 4s

Hmm how exactly will the software be distributed anyway? Are you requiring jailbreak to access. I assumed you would go the rout of free software then just sell the hardware that makes it useful (pretty common app store approach)... but this comment leaves me unsure of the approach...

Thanks!

I am very sorry you got an e-mail that says it will ship in 14-21 days. There must be a problem with the checkout software. I will look into that right now. On the order form it does state that we are shipping Q1-Q2 2012 which means if we go into backorder it may not ship until June or later.

Oops I didn't read to the end of the thread.

Hmm how exactly will the software be distributed anyway? Are you requiring jailbreak to access. I assumed you would go the rout of free software then just sell the hardware that makes it useful (pretty common app store approach)... but this comment leaves me unsure of the approach...

Thanks!

The software will be available at the app. store as usual. Everyone who purchases a housing will recieve a corresponding version of the software free. Upgrades will be either free or priced according to their respective function

Just a couple things i see and am curious about and feature requests.

1. What phone/Ipod touch are you looking to support? I know all the pictures look like iphone 4/4s but I have learned lessons about assuming. It is never mentioned anywhere on the site.

2. Is there a plan for different software between the versions? I really do not care for the wireless/wired pressure, but would still want multiple gasses, trimix, CCR, various algorithms, ect.

features I would want from the software side of this product.
1. Multiple gasses (10 seems to be the current standard) with ability to change/modify gasses underwater

2. No violation lockouts (ie continue to give me best guess estimates if I blow a stop)

3. Ability to change and pick what data is displayed on home screen.

4. This one is a bit out there but the bluetooth ability underwater might be of value. I know that the range of BT underwater is severely limited but I wonder if i could use this to communicate with the contour GPS. Just a thought

5. You could always think of using V planner Live.

I am sure I will come up with more questions later and I am excited to hear the answers.

At first I thought this was just a scam because it seemed too good to be true. However, it is looking like something real judging from the responses on t his thread.

The website says it will work with the ipod touch as well as an iphone? That would be a less expensive option and also your phone is not at risk when you dive.

Also, my wish list in addition to those (above) would be to have a custom configurable screen where I can place the info in need where I want (ie depth functions together, time functions together, pressure functions together) and in what size. For example, I would want my no-deco time to be larger than my actual bottom time. The sample screen has "too much information." I want just the basics, current depth, no-deco time, max depth, air pressure, and remaining air time (if that option is offered), with more detail only if I want it. Maybe a "basic" screen with the ability to access more detail with a tap.

Also, the tapping thing should not activate just because you bump into soething. A computer that is too distracting takes away from the dive. Being able to configure the screen (similar to the Galileo) would be great.

The website says it will work with the ipod touch as well as an iphone? That would be a less expensive option and also your phone is not at risk when you dive.
- i can not find a statement that actually says this on the website. I would feel better if it did.

Also, the tapping thing should not activate just because you bump into soething. A computer that is too distracting takes away from the dive. Being able to configure the screen (similar to the Galileo) would be great.
The liquidvision X1 uses this same tap method of changing settings. The value of not having buttons as a failure point is worth it. They also had so you can set the sensitivity. I do not see a tap based method to be an issue at all.

So.... Jimmy. We will be supporting iphone 4/4s and iPod touch. We havent worked out all the kinks yet but we may also be offering a bundle package including iPod touch.
As far as software availabilty is concerned, you can buy the cheapest housing we offer and upgrade to TEC software. The only thing unavailable will be all the sensor inputs from an upgraded housing. As our company grows we will be offering new software all the time.
The screen is as of now configurable, as well as algorithms in all units/software levels. We also have offerings for 8-10 gasses in the TEC software.
Due to the frequency bluetooth will not and can not work underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom