ideas and suggestions on the design of the "perfect" dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a great chat with Rediculous2 on the phone. It looks like a heck of a device, if it is all that is promised. This is the first dive computer that I've wanted since I get my ORCAs way back when. But I still don't want a smartphone ... can one get an iPhone without service or does that become prohibitively expensive?

It looks like they are anywhere between $270-$350 on eBay for the iPhone 4.

Which version(s) of the iPhone does this work with?

Edit: I'll sell you my iPhone 4 for $220 and shipping is on me if you want. I replaced the screen myself, there is a tiny scratch on it and you would have to wait until I get my new iPhone 4s (it's backordered).

I had a great chat with Rediculous2 on the phone. It looks like a heck of a device, if it is all that is promised. This is the first dive computer that I've wanted since I get my ORCAs way back when. But I still don't want a smartphone ... can one get an iPhone without service or does that become prohibitively expensive?
All of the U.S. wireless providers sell the iPhone at a subsidized price with a 2-year contract (including some sort of data plan) for cell service. A contract-free ("unlocked") version of the iPhone is sold for several hundred dollars more.

FWIW, an iPod Touch has a lot of the functionality of an iPhone...but without some of the chips that transmit/receive wireless signals. Not sure whether an iPod Touch could be used with Rediculous2's device.

Your best bet would be to purchase a used iPhone in decent shape. Depending on the baseband, you should be able to "unlock" it so that it can be used with other carriers.

It looks like they are anywhere between $270-$350 on eBay for the iPhone 4.

Which version(s) of the iPhone does this work with?

Edit: I'll sell you my iPhone 4 for $220 and shipping is on me if you want. I replaced the screen myself, there is a tiny scratch on it and you would have to wait until I get my new iPhone 4s (it's backordered).
Please let me know when it might come available, there are some "if's" for me like, if this device really materializes, we've all seen a lot of vaporware over the years, but I want this one enough to be actively hoping. In a way this is what we had originally envisioned as the "end point" of dive computers when we were working on the ORCA EDGE back in the day, a programmable device that could become whatever kind of dive computer you wanted it to be, just by manipulating the software.

Please let me know when it might come available, there are some "if's" for me like, if this device really materializes, we've all seen a lot of vaporware over the years, but I want this one enough to be actively hoping. In a way this is what we had originally envisioned as the "end point" of dive computers when we were working on the ORCA EDGE back in the day, a programmable device that could become whatever kind of dive computer you wanted it to be, just by manipulating the software.

Will do. Hopefully soon, the email I received on Oct 07 said it would ship in 14-21 days.

Sure you can. It's called the iPod touch. But if you're going to buy a phone, and a dive computer, and an MP3 player and a camera and an HD video camera, why not have them all in one small package? I know you're a proud caveman, but just sample the 21st century. I think you'll like it. :)

I notice that it's going to be available in black.... so the DIR crowd will be able to use it too... :poke:

Anyone who believes that I-Phones eat batteries doesn't understand how/why to shut down all of the background apps that they have left running.

Might be a good thing to tell people who buy it though. I assume that once underwater there won't be a way to close them.

This is great, great potential anyway. I would love to preorder one, though I'm surprised you didn't go through kick start to get this off the ground... anyway, there are a couple things though that I would really like to encourage you add to your site. Especially if you are this close to shipping. I would say must adds prior to taking anyone's money frankly, just to set expectations correctly.

1. The dimensions of the box.
2. Any kind of protective coating? Iwould be worried about the box getting scratched to hell. Reason most slates are are boxed in rubber and plastic...
3. Vidoe of how this will actually work from a interface perspective. I would be particularly interested in seeing how it can recover from a crash with with no touch interface to fall back on to restart the app.
4. Show more or the UI and options. In particular for me is the need of a bottom timer function. I hate computers that won't show me how long I have actually been down or only a clock or my theoretocal no deco time (had a old oceanic that was like that, argh).
5. Suunto has a nice little function if you are not useing their deep stop table to start the your safety stop as timer when you hit 15 feet.
6. What is your desktop solution. Deal breaker for me is proprietary format. I do not want my data locked. Ideally I would like to see compatibility with mac diver, Dive log 5 and other such common desktop apps. Maybe a little synergy with the Dive Log for iphone, since it dose a great job of managing surface info (capture your dive site GPS loc etc) then sending to other desktop apps.
7. set a log mark for time air etc for when you see something (common profile trick)?
8. set reciprocal course on the compos? Icon help for doing square patterns etc?

That said I'm giddy with the potential. I suspect a iPhone 4s camera could do pretty well with a little bit of lighting assistance.

Show us something real aside from renders :).

-Griffon

Actually while were talking about the compass, I used an experimental underwater fluxgate compass some years ago, you pointed it in the direction that you wanted to go and pushed a button. It started to beep. If you deviated from the course to the right the beep came faster and higher pitched, to the left, lower and slower. Took a little practice, but pretty soon one could easily run a couple of hundred yards in poor visibility with very little error. Sounds like it could be doable here. I used another one that had a series of lights that worked pretty well too, but I like the audio input better.

What's the upgrade path? Seems to me the easiest method is to have a single case (with hose connection, and a cap/seal) and sell the package as different levels of software.
Also, your site lists a MSRP of $499, but since there are four different models, maybe you can elaborate on the price structure?
I cannot tell from the pictures on your site. How is the iPhone placed in the case, how are connections (i.e. headphons) made, and how is the case sealed to prevent accidental opening? Are there pictures of the mounting mechanism available?

Well the REC is the entry-level dive computer. It has very high functionality as far as programming but is not air-integrated. It costs us more to build the air integrated (PRO and TEC) housings due to the expensive high pressure sensor and the extra hardware to run its inputs. All of the housings will have the hardware and capability to upgrade to wireless air integration including the REC. The REC will require a software upgrade for the wireless air integration though.
We are working so hard on development and coming up with new tasks everyday that our web design hasnt come first on the list for a few weeks. I will get someone on it.

Will do. Hopefully soon, the email I received on Oct 07 said it would ship in 14-21 days.

I am very sorry you got an e-mail that says it will ship in 14-21 days. There must be a problem with the checkout software. I will look into that right now. On the order form it does state that we are shipping Q1-Q2 2012 which means if we go into backorder it may not ship until June or later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom