ideas and suggestions on the design of the "perfect" dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rediculous2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
We are about to launch the manufacturing of the Scuba Capsule dive computer for smartphones, and it would be great to know what you think about its features. Please take a look at the specs, and let me know if there is anything else we can possibly add to make it truly the best dive computer ever. We at Utmost are seriously into diving of all types and we want to have the best. Smartphones are much more powerful and easily upgradable, not to mention the media capabilities. We'd love to hear feedback from all types of divers.....

LINK: scuba capsule - The World's First All-In-One Dive Computer

If I'm not mistaken, the housing is a housing- not much more, although that alone is pretty snappy.

What you are asking us about (I think), is your specialized (downloadable or disc) App, which is what I guess is kind-of described on your website. If that's what it is, I'd be happy. Is that what it is... a nice housing and an App?

I see the HP hose connector, but I also see that you can add a tank pressure sending unit for $350.

How does the IPhone inside a sealed box import the other necessary data to make the computations?

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions that an 18 year old would already know the answers to, but then again, I'm a lot older and less computer literate. I can also buy this on a whim. So there's that to consider.

I didn't see a promised future delivery date, and I also note that the "Scuba Mule" is also apparently in pre-prototype status. (The name is already in use by another SCUBA related product, so look into that)

I'm confused. Is this just a housing for a smartphone with an app, or is this a dive computer? The website suggests the latter, but your original post suggests the former.

I'm confused. Is this just a housing for a smartphone with an app, or is this a dive computer? The website suggests the latter, but your original post suggests the former.

The image on the website suggests a little of both, from what I can tell. I also see that the "scubamule" thing is not linked to an existing product either. Add to that the name "rediculous", which is spelled wrong, it seems like a couple of folks who see money in the scuba industry and are "phishing" for ways to get money without actually doing anything new.

That said, if I'm wrong, I suggest you look at a few of the latest and greatest computers from each manufacturer and see what the common features are and what you, as a product designer, can add to set you apart. Putting your "computer" on someone's smart phone is a good start for a niche market within a niche market but you're going to need more than that to make any real money. Also Roatan's questions regarding sensors for the gauges is a valid and important one because most smart phones don't have the right type of equipment within them to do the functions and putting them inside a housing will significantly reduce the capability of the sensors they do have to provide accurate data.

On top of that smart phones don't generally have decent cameras so marketing for "media" isn't going to really win you anything, except complaints when people want quality video or pictures and get distorted pictures with poor lighting and even worse resolution. The music portion of the media will not really be of use to anyone, in my opinion.

Also, how are you dealing with touch screens? Your image only shows one screen that is essentially useless to someone during a dive. How will you handle menu functions and different data requirements if the only interface is a touch screen, as on the iPhone in your picture?

If you're legitimate, I wish you luck. From what I can tell you're going to need it.

If I'm not mistaken, the housing is a housing- not much more, although that alone is pretty snappy.

What you are asking us about (I think), is your specialized (downloadable or disc) App, which is what I guess is kind-of described on your website. If that's what it is, I'd be happy. Is that what it is... a nice housing and an App?

I see the HP hose connector, but I also see that you can add a tank pressure sending unit for $350.

How does the IPhone inside a sealed box import the other necessary data to make the computations?

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions that an 18 year old would already know the answers to, but then again, I'm a lot older and less computer literate. I can also buy this on a whim. So there's that to consider.

I didn't see a promised future delivery date, and I also note that the "Scuba Mule" is also apparently in pre-prototype status. (The name is already in use by another SCUBA related product, so look into that)

None of these questions are dumb.
Our device is as you say a snappy housing; with all the necessary sensors and microprocessors to make the smartphone into a super-charged dive computer built in.
If you see below the display there is an area in which all these components are housed.
We will be offering this unit in four configurations depending on customer preference.
There will be a non-air integrated (REC) model as well as the air-integrated hose type and wireless integrated systems(PRO). There will also be a flagship unit called the Scuba Capsule TEC, which has the capabilty to monitor 10 gas mixes including air, nitrox, tri-mix and heliox. The tec will also have open and closed circuit capabilities for you re-breather guys.
Using smartphones as our platform we can always offer the latest updates and have the fastest computation
not to mention a wide angle HD camera and all your favorite music, movies and games (for those week long deco stops)
We will also be offering a LITE version with no diving feedback for media only. (just in case you love your computer but want the coolest media player in the underwater world)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Classifieds.

fjpatrum.......Rediculous is a reference to the actual FISHING industry, which I am a part of as well. Lets be nice on here and not presume anything we dont know about. The Red snapper ban has made a big impact on my life so if you'd like to talk further about that I welcome you.
As far as OUR products are concerned, the 12 or so of us working on them are and have been busy for less than a year. If you've ever stared a company you know things dont happen overnight and developing revolutionary products is a labor of love and patience.
As far as cameras go, our prototype is based on the iPhone 4 which takes pictures in 780p, not a 10,000 dollar underwater production machine but with optional lenses and lights will compete with any point and shoot in said category. I persoanally own a $700 point and shoot which is ok but not great. The Scuba Capsule REC is 100 dollars cheaper and has 4 other extremely desirable functions.
The fuctions are carried out by a tap to select function which allows for 5 "buttons" so to speak, the phones accelerometer reacts to taps on all 4 sides and the front.
As for sensors, I mentioned the housing under the actual smartphone which encases all of our necessary pressure (2) and temp sensors as well as our custom microprocessor. Including a "wet" chamber so we can get those "data" readings you spoke of

A few questions if I might:

How does the compass work, is it a flux gate or what?

What is the range of bluetooth underwater?

How does input/output work when you can't use the touchscreen?

Is there a moisture alarm?

How about an internal housing pressure check?

Are there multiple algorithms available?

Will it work with existing tank pressure sensors that a diver might already own?

Will it monitor multiple tank pressure sensors? How many?

I think the idea ROCKS, and I look forward to seeing it.

1. Depth rating to 600 feet. Not that most folks go there, but folks I dive with go to 400 regularly.

2. Ability to use Gradient Factors, not just Buhlman or VPM.

3. 3 gasses is a must. 5 wouldn't be too shabby.

4. As you already noted, CCR capability and a Fischer connector would be a requirement for the 4th cell.

Compass? Meh. If you missed the drop, knowing which direction to go is easy. Try up-current.

What I have described is, of course, a Shearwater Predator. $1895 MSRP. I love my shearwater, and hate smartphones. So, for me to buy one you would have to make the rest of the smartphone available so I can play angry birds on deco. That's what would make me buy it.

Yeah, if this could all work I might have to give up my Luddite stance that a phone is a phone and I don't want it to do anything else.

Back
Top Bottom