I wonder if a BP/W setup might help me to love diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, in a well-balanced rig of any sort, it should be possible to go head down and look in holes, or head up to look for boats before you surface, or lie on your back to watch your bubbles rise :)

But what about this position?

Two quick comments.

As far as pushing you forward on the surface in a BP/W that sure is not the case for me. With a steel tank I do a wonderful back float with my fin tips out of the water.

As for positioning, I am a photographer and get myself into all sorts of positions. I don't think the DP/W causes any problem with this.

I got mine in May from Tobin and love it. My wife tried it in the pool and said it was the most stable she has ever been in the water (this with no adjustment of the straps). She is not the same size as you and Lynne however.

Mike

Not very streamlined and could cause a CO2 hit from the extra exertion needed to push you through the water. But I'll try it next time I go chasing after a turtle before I knock it.

Again, I used a qualifier (some) yet you call this "more total nonsense" so if I were to use the kind of illogic your post seems to use I would guess you think all used BP/W's for sale on eBay are being sold by divers who love BP/W. I for one think it is more logical to assume that some of those divers selling used BP/W's on eBay do not love BP/W; the economy simply can not be the only reason!

A BP&W, like any other gear choice, has advantages and disadvantages. I'm happy to debate these.

OTOH relative fitness arguments based on the numbers of conventional BC in use vs BP&W's, or the frequency with which they appear on ebay are not logical, they are nonsense.

"One billion Chinese can't be wrong" discussions do nothing answer the OP's specific questions.

Tobin

Well, I AM approaching senility, but I do remember there were three backplate setups, well faded and used, on the last trip I made with Pauline. She may not have been using one of them, however.

It doesn't really matter. What matter is what works for the nice lady who started the thread, and is having to listen to us bicker in it. She's got a nice handle on how to try out some possibilities in gear, and maybe we'll even get to find out what she decides she likes!

Not bad. I tried it with my wife last night but she said it chaffed. Of course, she's not as "streamlined" as your turtle there.

I was going to suggest this type of rig but I don't think they sell them anymore:

Picture555.jpg

It doesn't really matter. What matter is what works for the nice lady who started the thread, and is having to listen to us bicker in it.

Please enlighten me, are there any medical forums you are a part of? If so, is there nearly as much bickering, or do the normal guidelines of the profession filter that out?

Just curious if the opinions and ass****s analogy goes across all forum boards.

Speaking of Extended Horizons and short waisted women; my co-worker Maren (thousands of dives) is 5'3, 120 lbs (but lean to skinny). She dives very well and has no desire to go BP/W.

That does look like a comfortable set up she has. It's good to know there may be a jacket type BC that fits me, as I'd always rather make a choice with options than one where I don't have them.

And I will definitely report back on how it goes trying them both. If there's anything that drives me nuts, it's when people start a thread, and as it goes along you get into it more and more........ and then you never find out what happens after that :sigh_2:

B.

Back
Top Bottom