I wonder if a BP/W setup might help me to love diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That does look like a comfortable set up she has. It's good to know there may be a jacket type BC that fits me, as I'd always rather make a choice with options than one where I don't have them.

And I will definitely report back on how it goes trying them both. If there's anything that drives me nuts, it's when people start a thread, and as it goes along you get into it more and more........ and then you never find out what happens after that :sigh_2:

B.
Please do let us know! You are so right that the rest of the story often is not reported.

That is actually a back inflate BC but I also know plenty similar petite women who use vest BC's (don't jackets have sleeves?) :wink:

I'm not trying to exclude myself and stand on a pedistal...I'm just a SBer who sees the bickering and the line in sand drawn all to often and curious how it relates to other none dive related boards.

In this thread I didn't really see a "line drawn the sand" except (I thought in jest) between you and me. How it relates to anything, including "other non-dive related boards, is, it's......... peeeeeeple. Soilent Green now. It's time.

I'm kidding.

Last edited:
My bp/w helped me love diving, but that is just me :)

DOnna

Hey B. Sparkle, you've gotten a lot of good feedback here so far, but you're tending to hear from the polar ends of the spectrum...the B/P-wing crowd versus the poodle-jacket crowd, however, there is a 'middle way'.....the way I ended up choosing, I build/design my own 'hybrid' systems (Deepoutdoors MATRIX Limited harness/SS STA/Oxycheq EXTREME-donut wings/DSS Kydex B/P/Halcyon vertical release weight system/mask pockets). I won't go into details on it, as my own personal systems cost WAY more than you want to spend, as I select the highest quality materials/best designed components for my own personal systems because I'm something of a gearhead/perfectionist....the main point is there is no guaranteed winning solution as the final selection tends to be a very personal choice....and honestly, my 'perfect' BC isn't the product of a brainstorm one night, it's the product of YEARS of varied diving experiences, it's an evolutionary process, one of constant improvements.

You're a new diver, and the problem is, you don't know what you don't know...and we here on SB just don't know enough about you to guarantee a successful 'diagnosis' via the internet. Your best best is to hook up with a reputable dive op, and trust them to fix you up with different gear, to show you everything in their best light so you're making honest comparisons. Remember, a poorly fitted B/P-wing could cause you to 'vote' against buying one, when the real issue might not be the B/P-wing but a poor sizing/adjustment...the same holds true for a conventional BC.

I'll add that outside the 'technical' realm, I rarely see pure B/P-wings being used by recreational divers...I think they're gradually becoming more common, but my experience is that they're still a small minority of the systems being used. Also, the divers I see using 'conventional' BC's seem to be perfectly happy with them....I believe the natural aptitude/experience level of the diver makes a MUCH bigger difference to a diver's skill level/comfort level/happiness level than does the possession of a B/P-wing.

If you 'go' the conventional BC route, I'd at least suggest a back-inflate (and not a jacket inflate where some of the air cell is around your waist) and I consider a crotch-strap mandatory and I will NOT dive without one. It makes the whole rig much more stable/tight.... at one with the body, and helps translate the aircell's lifting force into actual 'body' lift at the surface...if you don't use one, the BC will tend to 'ride up' while floating on the surface, and will tend to push you 'face-forward' as you will tend to overinflate the aircell to stay above the waves while your BC 'rides up'.

Thank you all for your interest and input (and to anyone who comments after this, too). I very much appreciate you all having taken the time to post. It was especially nice to hear from someone with a similar build, since fit/shape/size is one of the main reasons I am considering the BP/W setup.

Thanks to evad's mentioning it, I think I now have a good way to do some "real world" research: I called Silent World, and they have both BP/W and small-sized BC's to rent. Therefore, I will try each of them in turn on this trip. Given that they have BC's in my size, but that the backplates are only one size (no doubt average man size), this should give the BC more than a fair shake :)

In fact, they sounded like a good outfit in general, so I may dive with them as well.

Let's hope the fish returns! :D

Thanks again,
B.

...and there's part of the problem.....ONE size plate available for testing......some manufacturers (like Tobin @ DSS) make several sizes.....moreover, 'plates' come in different 'materials' ( for example, I own stainless steel ones.... aluminum ones...and KYDEX (plastic) ones....and while they're uncommon-rare, there are titanium ones and ABS(another type of plastic) ones. But hey, it's better than nothing and will give you at least some insight.

I guess this is where the term "Strap a tank on your back" originated from.

Close, but still a little too complicated. This is as close as I can come to strapping a tank on my back :) :

Picture041.jpg

Hey B. Sparkle.... as my own personal systems cost WAY more than you want to spend, as I select the highest quality materials/best designed components for my own personal systems

Nice way to call the OP a broke a** who won't spend good money on good reliable gear.

I build/design my own 'hybrid' systems (Deepoutdoors MATRIX Limited harness/SS STA/Oxycheq EXTREME-donut wings/DSS Kydex B/P/Halcyon vertical release weight system/mask pockets).

Pics please.

that must be one of those cool on demand snorkels that screw into the tank valve.

No need for a regulator if one is using the Rouquayrol method. As long as one can jam the snorkel end into the valve (a DIN works better for this) and reach the knob. It also helps "condition" the cheeks for playing the trumpet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom