I wonder if a BP/W setup might help me to love diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AGGGGHHHHH!
Nemrod doesn't like backplate setups in warm water. I do. You may. Renting one from Silent World is a superb suggestion -- try the gear yourself and see what you think!

I never said that, I have no jackets or conventional BCs for myself. I either dive a wing or nothing and rarely a old horsecollar. I have never owned a jacket, "poodle jacket" or any such BC ever. I began diving a wing circa 1976. I use a wing in warm water or cold water but I am quite likely in warm water to not use any wing or BC at all. I have been an active diver since 1966 and over the years I have seen styles come and go. The wing/BP type BC is the most efficient design and is optimal for proficient divers and serious technical types. I noticed for example, on my weeks down in the Keys, I actually saw some people on the boats using wings. Up north on the Mighty O the DM commented that this was the first time every diver on his six pack had a wing/BP.

Nonetheless, I will stick with what I said concerning the OP. I think everybody has given her some good information to work with and hopefully she will get a good setup that will work for her.

N

Another vote for giving a try to the BP/W and see if it is a better fit for you. Since about my 10th dive I have used it in warm tropical water and personally found it much more comfortable than the jacket. This assessment was way before I even contemplated using doubles or any kind of more advanced diving ... the whole rig just fit me better than the jackets I managed to try.

I also like that, now that I have moved to diving in colder waters with a dry suit, with doubles and a bigger wing, the modifications of the basic gear are incremental and simple to adjust to. This is not something I appreciated initially, but it is in the best sense of the word a "simple" system.

Good luck with the search for the "fishiest" BCD!

Uh, I'm just a dumb a** diver and I support the BP/W concept. In fact, I was right up at the top of this thread. All 4 of us have BP/W's of one kind or another. My wife and I still have our BCs. We won't scrap them but we aren't diving them either.

TSandM's skill level is far beyond mine and her opinion is vastly more important than most in this thread because she has a similar build to the OP and dives in similar conditions (as well as more demanding situations). I would hold her recommendations in high regard were I the OP.

I think I would just ignore mine...

Richard

I wish I had a wing/BP like all the cool kids, but noooooooo, just look at me all bloated and puffy.

IMG_1250_edited-1.jpg

N

Thank you all for your interest and input (and to anyone who comments after this, too). I very much appreciate you all having taken the time to post. It was especially nice to hear from someone with a similar build, since fit/shape/size is one of the main reasons I am considering the BP/W setup.

Thanks to evad's mentioning it, I think I now have a good way to do some "real world" research: I called Silent World, and they have both BP/W and small-sized BC's to rent. Therefore, I will try each of them in turn on this trip. Given that they have BC's in my size, but that the backplates are only one size (no doubt average man size), this should give the BC more than a fair shake :)

In fact, they sounded like a good outfit in general, so I may dive with them as well.

Let's hope the fish returns! :D

Thanks again,
B.

That's wonderful news, Blue Sparkle! There is nothing like experimenting and finding your own good answers. The folks at Silent World are good, knowledgeable folks, and they'll make sure whatever they rent you is adjusted properly, to give you the best shot at figuring out what works for you.

Halemano, if I had not been turned on to ScubaBoard, and found my mentor here, and been steered in a particular direction, I might to this day never even have HEARD of backplates. The shop where I got certified doesn't sell them and in fact believes they are inappropriate for any but technical divers. The boats I have been on in the tropics have rarely had them, although the dive staff on the Mike Severns boat uses them, as did our DM in Cozumel (who is a cave diver, and that's probably why). If people are utterly unaware of something as an option, the fact that they don't choose it really doesn't say very much to me about whether it is a good option for them or not.

But in this particular case, we have a small, slender, short-waisted woman who doesn't like a sloppy BC and wants to feel more streamlined and more solid in the water. Her case just doesn't generalize. I still feel my advice is very specifically appropriate for her. What the average tropical vacation diver is using is not highly relevant information in this particular case.

I am almost 100% certain that you will be more comfortable in a BP/W, given your description of your previous experience with a jacket BC.

The bit about the 'large metal plate' on your back misses the simple fact that unless you're diving a sidemount technical rig, you will have a large, unstable metal cylinder on your back, namely the tank. The backplate takes that unstable cylinder and couples it to your back by spreading out the contact over a large area. Then you need only a very simple (and not that snug) webbing harness to have complete control over the tank. This provides a great feeling of freedom of movement and lack of clutter.

If you buy a BP/W and don't like it, it's very easy to sell for almost what you paid (unless you get taken for a ride...) while jacket BCs have almost no resale value. The jacket BC is designed to sell to beginners in shops and keep them floating like corks on the surface during their class. It's like a life preserver with cam straps; sounds good when you're on land, but horrible under water. That's why so many advanced divers who have the chance to try BP/Ws switch to them. It does not often go the other way.

In addition to Tobin's stuff, there's a guy on SB making and selling wonderful small plates for single tank use only, the freedom plate. That would be matched well with one of the oxycheq small wings.

There's also a great store in FL called caveadventurers. If it's not too far out of your way, you might stop by there. They have a large stock of oxycheq and dive rite gear at excellent prices, and they could help fit you.

Between getting the right wetsuit and a properly fitted BP/W, you're going to be amazed at how much more fun diving is.

I see you've already made up your mind to try both, that's a good idea, but I posted this rant because I never miss an opportunity to diss jacket BCs.

Are you saying that all divers need added stability and plate ballast up over their lungs? Seems I've seen trim pockets in both vest and back inflate BC's and for many divers it appears to me that's all they need. If I were an underwater videographer making movies I would want to be more stable, but I am not and I like being able to position my body in any orientation; diving is after all a three dimensional situation.

I was just reading through the latter part of this thread again, soaking up some of the info, and I noticed this. I do kind of like to be underwater at "weird" angles. I guess that's because of snorkeling, where I found it kind of nice/easy/fun to hover in place with my head down and my feet up (vertical) -- say for looking under a ledge.

I'll have to see how the BP/W and the regular type of BC compare for this sort of thing. I certainly don't want to be "forced" into a horizontal position all the time, but then I don't know if it will feel that way to me. I suppose if it did, but I still liked the BP/W set up, I could always use a lighter plate and put weight elsewhere.

Now I can't wait to get out there and try things! So... this is good :)

B.

PS: I wish I had had a small weight belt with me when I was doing all the snorkeling. Part of the reason I hung upside down so often is that it seemed easier to stay down that way. It was also somewhat exhilarating and added to the feeling of freedom.

Neither a jacket nor a backplate will force you into any given position. Some weight distributions can make it difficult to impossible to assume certain positions and retain them without moving. A lot of us like to be able to hover in a horizontal position without finning, and you have to distribute your weight correctly to be able to do that. In a jacket or back-inflate, that may involve using trim weights in pockets up by your shoulders, if the BC has them; with a steel backplate, the weight is already there.

However, in a well-balanced rig of any sort, it should be possible to go head down and look in holes, or head up to look for boats before you surface, or lie on your back to watch your bubbles rise :)

Halemano, if I had not been turned on to ScubaBoard, and found my mentor here, and been steered in a particular direction, I might to this day never even have HEARD of backplates. The shop where I got certified doesn't sell them and in fact believes they are inappropriate for any but technical divers. The boats I have been on in the tropics have rarely had them, although the dive staff on the Mike Severns boat uses them, as did our DM in Cozumel (who is a cave diver, and that's probably why). If people are utterly unaware of something as an option, the fact that they don't choose it really doesn't say very much to me about whether it is a good option for them or not.

TSandM, I have made a few dives with Pauline (owner Mike Severns Diving) and she does not wear BP/W AFAIS. She is one of the main DM's on her boat. I'm positive all you can say is some of the Severns crew have used or uses BP/W. The same can be said of Extended Horizons, although none currently.

Speaking of Extended Horizons and short waisted women; my co-worker Maren (thousands of dives) is 5'3, 120 lbs (but lean to skinny). She dives very well and has no desire to go BP/W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom