I do not agree with, "Dive and Let Dive."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humpty-Dumpty: “When I use a word… it means just what I choose it to mean – neither more nor less.”
Doesn't this pretty much reflect your OP? Or are you suggesting DALD is not well enough defined?

My favorite people watching place was at a rock climbing area near a major university, where there were normal climbers, and then there were guys who would go to a hardware store for some rope (the wrong kind) and then bring a date or their roommates to, usually, go rappelling instead of actual climbing. I'd take a textbook and climbing up onto a ledge wide enough to sit on, and just wait for the entertainment. Guys embarrassing themselves by cratering, people rappelling halfway down a rope and then learning it had wadded up midway down, and on and on. You can't fix stupid. But maybe stupid can sometimes fix itself. Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
Oh man, that reminds me of some of the climbers I would see at the Gunks back when I lived out East. I'd see folks smoke a joint and then set up some super sketchy top rope anchors. Death triangles, using a single sappling as an anchor, that sort of thing. Then they'd ask the people next to them if they wanted to share ropes. Yeah, sure thing. Right after I top out on my route and go fix your anchor. Or people rapping off crusty old slings that had been dangling from a cold shut for a couple of years. Saw a guy take a pretty wicked fall doing that when the old slings broke. Or the 5.9 climbers doing a 5.11 route who would place their first piece of pro at 5' and then climb 10' beyond that without placing a cam or a nut...

It’s the four way stop understanding. It works when most people are on board, even without a traffic cop on the corner.

Humpty-Dumpty: “When I use a word… it means just what I choose it to mean – neither more nor less.”
however your OP started with the phrase referring to closing out a bickerfest -then you evolved it to not caring how anyone else dives which later turned into not addressing unsafe practices and damaging reefs etc. so maybe you need to clarify what Humpty actually means . I havent read any references to this phrase being used in turning a blind eye to damaging reefs. You may categorise unsafe practices to anyone who doesnt dive like my agency says but as @formernuke says and also to my recollection its always in the context of preferences -if you disagree maybe you can quote some example to support your position

I see plenty of students walking into the water at the local quarry looking an absolute cluster. Second stages and console all hanging down their back. Often tanks are very loose in camband and slipping. I don’t say a word. I just sit back and laugh to myself at the mess. If instructors can’t be bothered to make sure their students are squared away before they get in the water, the instructors get to be the ones to deal with the issues.

I don’t say thing now. I used to if I saw a tank slipping, but not now. I’ve gotten too much attitude back.

The people watching at the Midwest quarries is excellent. Maybe only airports are better.
I will say something. I would hate to see some poor student have their achilleas tendon smashed by a falling tank as they walk across the parking lot. All you gotta do is say: "hey can I fix that for you?" and spend 10 seconds. Not a big deal for anyone if you keep it low key.

I don't even like watching videos of people hurting themselves.

I will say something. I would hate to see some poor student have their achilleas tendon smashed by a falling tank as they walk across the parking lot. All you gotta do is say: "hey can I fix that for you?" and spend 10 seconds. Not a big deal for anyone if you keep it low key.

It’s when they’re walking into the water accompanied by instructor. If instructor can’t be bothered to make sure everyone is squared away before walking into the water, instructor can deal with it. Perhaps they might learn a lesson. Too bad it would be at student’s expense. I don’t get involved now. Not my problem. But I can enjoy the circus of the sh*t show in front of me. Too many instructors have given me attitude when I’ve pointed slipping tanks out before.

I havent read any references to this phrase being used in turning a blind eye to damaging reefs.
Not directly, but it sometimes comes up in the context of discussions about horizontal trim and precision in controlling one’s position close to a reef.

So I'm not capable of diving solo properly unless someone else specifically trains me for it?
Who said that? It is just one way to achieve enlightenment. The point is to learn how to do it., not to get a card. When you see how some people dive solo, it is easy to think that they are just winging it.

Doesn't this pretty much reflect your OP? Or are you suggesting DALD is not well enough defined?
Defined? LOL! Not when each person using it means something different.
It would be nice if it meant only what some people want it to mean, but that is not how it is always used. Too often it just means "Screw you, go dive your own way. I'll sign off now. You are not worth arguing with, no matter how wrong you are."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom