I do not agree with, "Dive and Let Dive."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took his statement to mean those who are not solo certified but choose to go off on their own and not dive with their buddy. But I'll let @tursiops clarify.
Correct. I added a clarification in the OP: "(ADDED LATER FOR CLARITY: but is untrained and/or unequipped for it)". I dive solo from time to time, and have taught it (SDI and PADI) to dozens of divers.

I'm not solo certified. I'm 72 y/o (still alive) and only shore dive alone and all by myself. Who do I show a solo cert to?
It's up to the dive operator to determine the necessary credentials for a dive. Since you are the dive op here, you get to make the call.

I’ve gotten hassled a couple of times at the local quarry for solo diving. Solo diving is allowed and it’s posted as such. I’m solo certified. Lots of solo divers. But all men aside from a few women instructors. The ones who’ve harassed me have been PADI OW instructors.

It’s effing stupid. I’m diving SM with big steels and a drysuit. I’ve let the quarry management know and they said they will deal with the offenders next time, I just have to let them know immediately when it happens.

So there's no difference between driving a hybrid, for example, and driving a gas-guzzling Power Wagon as an office commuter? By your definition, it would seem only a mountain ascetic who survives on air has any right to call out bad environmental practices.

Is it that hard to stay off of the coral? Is it that difficult to not poke wildlife? Does someone who eats fish have no right to admonish those who do these things? Every human action has an environmental impact of some sort. We can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
What I'm saying is before someone gets righteous and starts admonishing someone they need to look at themselves first. I've seen too many divers "offer criticism" to another diver but obviously never seen themselves on film while they where diving finning along decapitating coral as they go. I think most divers try to be aware of the environment but some are just not educated or skilled enough to do so. It's all how you approach the situation, going in finger pointing and embarrass someone in front of other is probably not going get the response you wanted.

IMHO, blow it off. Solo mindset is non-interactive.

I'm not doing any harm, LMTFA.

You don’t have to deal with the stupid PADI OW instructors. I told the quarry owners next time, gloves are off. I’ve been fairly civil up to now (for me that means limited use of the F word and no vicious sarcasm).

I’ve gotten hassled a couple of times at the local quarry for solo diving. Solo diving is allowed and it’s posted as such. I’m solo certified. Lots of solo divers. But all men aside from a few women instructors. The ones who’ve harassed me have been PADI OW instructors.

It’s effing stupid. I’m diving SM with big steels and a drysuit. I’ve let the quarry management know and they said they will deal with the offenders next time, I just have to let them know immediately when it happens.
New instructor syndrome!

Correct. I added a clarification in the OP: "(ADDED LATER FOR CLARITY: but is untrained and/or unequipped for it)". I dive solo from time to time, and have taught it (SDI and PADI) to dozens of divers.
Who decides the proper training and the proper equipment?

You can disagree all you want with the Dive and let Dive but it makes no difference. Why would your opinion matter any more than another diver's opinion? in particular a diver that dives in a way unacceptable to you.

If someone is harming the environment that I dive in, endangering our access to it, putting me in danger or just generally ruining my dive - then they are potentially not letting me dive, so I’ll address it.

If they are doing anything else that I wouldn’t chose for myself but has no effect on me, then you do you, dive and let dive, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom