Hydro Testing -- Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richerso

Contributor
Reaction score
Team, friends, neighbors, dive buddies:
I am kind of frustrated this afternoon. Bear with me. I have some questions about air tank hydrostatic testing. What would y'all do?

I have three Al-80 tanks that are due for hydro testing in July. My LDS wants to charge me $169 / tank for the test. :confused: Does this sound right?

I am pretty sure I can buy brand new tanks off the showroom retail floor for $200 or less. I found some brand new showroom floor tanks at scubatoys that are the exact mfr, model, and color as my tanks for $150 each.

On the other hand, I would like to be a good diver samaritan and support my LDS. What should I do? Seeking advice. Thanks. John

Verify there is not a communications issue with your shop, $169 per tank to test is WAY WAY over the top.

If they insist that a hydro test is 169.00 per cylinder, find another shop.

Take your tanks to the local test facility , your local fire dept can direct you . It is usually around 30 dollars for a hydro test .
Drain all the air from your tank and remove valve before taking it in.

I figured a hydro test should be somewhere in the $30 to $60 range. That was just my guess. I have considered taking the tanks directly to the facility. I can do that :D I am a big boy. I was really just trying to be a nice guy and support my LDS. Anywho . . . . I await further advice from the community. Thanks y'all!

John....check your mail...problem solved.

I pay $25 for a hydro. A shop would also do a visual and fill it. No shop should be over $35 for Hydro, vis, and fill.

Thanks guys!
I knew there was a "real" answer out there and I knew you guys would have it. Ha! I have my answer! Thank you!

btw Tex, I thought about calling you directly but thought I might throw this question out to the larger community. Thanks again!

I pay $40 per tank including the vis and fill. This has to be a misunderstanding.

Yeah, $50 at the most for hydro, vis and fill / tank. I wonder if they meant $169 for all 3 tanks. That would be $56.33 per tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom