Questions about vintage steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T

thbcthomas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking at 3 steel tanks and the seller says they are 78s from the 60s and last hydro was in 2010. I included pictures of the tanks. My question is #1 Is there anything I specifically need to look for when I go look at them? #2 Would I have any issue getting them hydro'd due to their age? #3 Are the 3 of them worth $150?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230803_213947_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_213947_Facebook.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20230803_213941_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_213941_Facebook.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 59
1 Internal rust
2 No
3 No

The set of doubles appear to be tapered pipe 72s. Unless they are incredibly rare tanks, they have basically no value at all. Look at the bottom, if they are concave or toed, they might be someting special. If they are just regular round bottom tapered 72s, I have a pile of them in the garage worth 7 cents per pound.
The single looks like a standard 3/4 nps steel 72. If it is clean inside, $50 is a good price.

@Tracy , thanks for the info. It would be about 2 hour drive round trip. I don't think it is going to be worth the drive over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom