Hydro Testing -- Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John,

Your LDS is probably paying $15-$20 to get the tank hydro'ed and then it takes a good 5 minutes to VIP one. The sticker is another buck. So they're charging you triple what it costs them. Seems a little steep to me.

My advice is get them hydro'ed yourself. If the facility isn't backlogged or is well-equipped you should get them back in a day or two. Then you just need a VIP and a possible O2 clean if you want that. Don't you have a buddy in the metroplex who is certified to VIP and O2 clean tanks? You have one in Austin. :wink: ...and NJDiver07866 is right, none of it is rocket science.

I will say that some shops around here refuse to fill tanks that aren't VIP'ed and O2 cleaned by their guys. Total BS IMHO. 1/2 of those guys aren't nearly as thorough as you would be with your own tanks. Of course, I do think anyone doing either of those jobs should be certified.

I do mine myself and ocassionally for a friend. I put my cert numbers on them and sign the sticker. That's usually enough for the shops around here, except one which shall remain nameless only because I was raised with at least some manners. LOL!

Good luck with it!!

Now I understand!

It was all just a big misunderstanding between me and my LDS.
They are not charging $169 for a hydro test. They are charging $69 for a hydro test.
Now it is all clear. That's a MUCH better price.

Can you guys hear the sarcasm here? Just askin'.

Thanks John! Your opinons are much appreciated and valued -- by me anyway.

I do have a buddy certified to O2 clean and VIP tanks. And he told me which hydro facility to use directly. Cut out the middleman.

I don't mind supporting my LDS. Heck, I want to support my LDS. I want to see them succeed and stay in business. But sometimes, they make it really difficult. I have already made some consumer decisions here; but those are my own and I won't disparage anyone.

Wow, that is fast. Do you know anything about the operation and how they do things?

There was a bunch of scuba tanks on their dock brought there by a dive shop. I just eliminated the middleman. It was a big testing facility so they wouldnt let me go back and watch(safety rules).

Back
Top Bottom