Hydro Testing -- Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I understand!

It was all just a big misunderstanding between me and my LDS.
They are not charging $169 for a hydro test. They are charging $69 for a hydro test.
Now it is all clear. That's a MUCH better price.

Can you guys hear the sarcasm here? Just askin'.

Now I understand!

They are not charging $169 for a hydro test. They are charging $69 for a hydro test.

...for that price, sounds like they're includin' some ...ummm,..... 'lube'..... :D

I share your sarcasm. I moved to Houston a couple of years ago and the LDS's around here have totally redefined "highway robbery". Try paying $35 bucks for a battery change on a computer. I supplied the battery and o ring, just didn't have a small enough screwdriver to take out FOUR screws. Another shop wouldn't fill my tanks 'cause they said the vip's expired on the FIRST day of the month rather than the last. I can't help but wonder if the online stores are starting to really cut into the bottom line of all the LDS's? Sad thing is, I really WANT to develop a business relationship with a local dive shop but it seems like they're just interested in taking it to new divers.

Where I live Hydro and Visual inspection runs $55 to $65 (CDN) at the local dive shops. The timeline for turn around is anywhere from 5 to 10 business days as they all send their tanks out to another facility for the testing.

It was easy to just call the facility they were all using and arrange the test myself. Cost $20 for hydro, $8 for vis and $16 for vis+ if required. Turn-around time...22 hours.

I don't mind a shop offering a service and charging for it if they are clear that they are really only acting as an agent for the other company and that it may make sense to make your own arrangements. I also don't have any issue if they are performing the tests themselves in-house but I generally balk when they are just sub-contracting the work to another company who deals with the public directly and they charge me double for the privilege of giving them my tanks.

Now I understand!

Hydro should run 20 bucks, viz, 12-15 bucks, with a fresh fill. Hey Rich, I have some barely used Atomic splits for a really good price.... :rofl3:

I read on the Internet that I'd die if I use split fins

old saying the pigs get fat.. the hogs get Slaughtered...

Just keep in mind that once you get a hydro... you need to get the tank o2 cleaned again. This is just my 2 cents and not law... Who knows what scum water they are filling your tank with. Just work with the LDS and ask them if they are also going to clean your tank. If the price is still off the wall, they are a hog and it's time to cut them loose and find another dive shop.

If you still don't like it. Then do what I did.. get the oxygen hackers handbook learn how to clean your own tanks (it's not rocket science) and get the tanks tested yourself and cut out the middleman.

As for not getting your tanks 02 cleaned. This can be a debate. Everyone has their own opinion on oxygen handling. For me I'm a DIY guy (not DIR!!) a DIY. For me.... it's just good insurance... sure you may never use nitrox or get your tanks filled partial pressure blending... but for $4 bucks worth of simple green & some materials its piece of mind. And after chewing the fat at my local hydro shop... I watched the Hydro shop put nasty beverage tanks, fire extinguishers in the machine before mine... you bet your @ss i clean my tanks after. I clean them, I know some punk kid at the LDS did not do it half baked listing to his I-pod texting is girlfriend.. Me, So when I hit the water.. the only person you can trust is yourself. And if I die.. It will be by my own hand.. (ok too deep)

I ran into some real dumb people at the mix station over the years. One guy held the analyzer up to the tank and dialed in the mix I wanted on the meter and not what it was :)

I guess what I'm saying is it's your money, you have a right for good service. If you don't like the service as i find with pretty much anything (not just scuba) you might as well do it yourself.

But if your LDS is a cool bunch of people, they will take the time explain to you what services you will be getting. And it is up to you to make the decision on which way you want to go. DIY, or just pay them for the service.

Some things in life are a no brainer.... After cleaning out my own boiler that left me black and hacking up black flem for 2 days... it's just easier to pay the guy... You know the deal, your an adult.. it's time to start applying this to scuba..

I took my tanks to an actual hydro facility as I couldnt wait the 2 weeks for the dive shop to handle. It was $20 for the hydro and $5 for the visual. I paid $10 additional (per tank)for rush service. That was worth it as it was a long drive out there. Total cost for two tanks was $70. They didnt have a compressor so it had to be filled elsewhere.

All the work was done in about 45 minutes.

All the work was done in about 45 minutes.

Wow, that is fast. Do you know anything about the operation and how they do things?

I share your sarcasm. I moved to Houston a couple of years ago and the LDS's around here have totally redefined "highway robbery". Try paying $35 bucks for a battery change on a computer. I supplied the battery and o ring, just didn't have a small enough screwdriver to take out FOUR screws. Another shop wouldn't fill my tanks 'cause they said the vip's expired on the FIRST day of the month rather than the last. I can't help but wonder if the online stores are starting to really cut into the bottom line of all the LDS's? Sad thing is, I really WANT to develop a business relationship with a local dive shop but it seems like they're just interested in taking it to new divers.

wwdiver,
Search for your local storefront of Harbor Freight Tools. Harbor Freight rocks! You can buy all sorts of cool, specialty tools for the do-it-yourselfer for cheap. The tools aren't professional quality by any means. They are all made in China; but for a homeowner who needs one of those specialty thinga-ma-widget tools for the home project every now and then, this is a very cool resource.

Hydro should run 20 bucks, viz, 12-15 bucks, with a fresh fill. Hey Rich, I have some barely used Atomic splits for a really good price.... :rofl3:

Name your price! I have been looking for a good used pair of split fins. I hear they make you swim faster :wink:

I read on the Internet that I'd die if I use split fins

Not a problem for the typical diver. For most divers, the fins are perfectly safe. You will only expire if you discover the outboard motor hidden in the foot pocket. Discovering the motor will cause you to die -- because it's a secret :cool2:

old saying the pigs get fat.. the hogs get Slaughtered...

Just keep in mind that once you get a hydro... you need to get the tank o2 cleaned again. This is just my 2 cents and not law... Who knows what scum water they are filling your tank with. Just work with the LDS and ask them if they are also going to clean your tank. If the price is still off the wall, they are a hog and it's time to cut them loose and find another dive shop.

If you still don't like it. Then do what I did.. get the oxygen hackers handbook learn how to clean your own tanks (it's not rocket science) and get the tanks tested yourself and cut out the middleman.

As for not getting your tanks 02 cleaned. This can be a debate. Everyone has their own opinion on oxygen handling. For me I'm a DIY guy (not DIR!!) a DIY. For me.... it's just good insurance... sure you may never use nitrox or get your tanks filled partial pressure blending... but for $4 bucks worth of simple green & some materials its piece of mind. And after chewing the fat at my local hydro shop... I watched the Hydro shop put nasty beverage tanks, fire extinguishers in the machine before mine... you bet your @ss i clean my tanks after. I clean them, I know some punk kid at the LDS did not do it half baked listing to his I-pod texting is girlfriend.. Me, So when I hit the water.. the only person you can trust is yourself. And if I die.. It will be by my own hand.. (ok too deep)

I ran into some real dumb people at the mix station over the years. One guy held the analyzer up to the tank and dialed in the mix I wanted on the meter and not what it was :)

I guess what I'm saying is it's your money, you have a right for good service. If you don't like the service as i find with pretty much anything (not just scuba) you might as well do it yourself.

But if your LDS is a cool bunch of people, they will take the time explain to you what services you will be getting. And it is up to you to make the decision on which way you want to go. DIY, or just pay them for the service.

Some things in life are a no brainer.... After cleaning out my own boiler that left me black and hacking up black flem for 2 days... it's just easier to pay the guy... You know the deal, your an adult.. it's time to start applying this to scuba..

I share your thoughts. I have met some really dumb people that scare me.
Oh no! He mentionded DIR ! ! ! Now we're all gonna die! Die! I tell you! Soilant Green is made from people!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom