Hydro for doubles question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a vintage doubles rig, twin 52.8 steel cylinders. When I take them in for hydro, should I break it down? Will they usually accept a tank for hydro without a valve? If they break it down, will they usually charge for disassembly and then reassembly?

Thanks,

jv

The tanks will have to come apart in order to fit in the test equipment. So the only real question is, do you want "some guy" who may have other things on their mind to take it apart? Or would you rather keep that under your own control? If the valves are part of an integral manifold set that doesn't come apart...DIY and just plug or cap the tanks properly. If anyone asks you why there are no valves, just TELL them, it is vintage gear and had to come apart anyway.

If you are taking it directly to the hydro facility, take it all apart first. No valve is fine.

lds usually just charge extra to break down and assemble doubles because it will take up their employee labor. a hydro facility generally will not take them assembled together.

Welcome to da' board.

Break them down yourself, take them to the re-qual (hydro) shop yourself, once done take them to your dive shop for a visual (unless the re-qual shop does that too). After the shop does the visual re-assemble them yourself and have the shop fill them. A descent shop will let you re-assemble them right then and there. Should take take ya less than 10 minutes.

Most shops charge extra to break down and reassemble doubles. I always do my own these days. IIRC, it's about $25 to break down and another $25 to reassemble. Local rates may vary.

If you decide to do it yourself this video may be of help. It show the assembly but disassembly is just the reverse. You can find videos of other methods but this method saves a lot of time.

So the only real question is, do you want "some guy" who may have other things on their mind to take it apart?

Or worse, put it back together.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom