How Old Were You When You Started SCUBA?

How Old Were You When You Started SCUBA?

• Less than 15

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • 16-20

• 21-25

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • 26-30

• 31-35

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • 36-40

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • 41-45

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • 46-50

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 51-55

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 56+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was certified back when I was 38. I'm now 68, and still diving. Just returned from two weeks in Utila and Cocoview. My regret is that I didn't discover scuba much earlier, like way, way back when I was 18!

Warren

MNScuba started when he was, "old enough to know better" or maybe meant that was old enough to be able to afford the cost of diving. :eek:

I was 33 when I got I got my OW certification and I'm still buying more gear all the time 12 years later. I would have loved to have started diving when I was in prime physical condition in my early twenties...but who, at that age, could afford to buy scuba gear when you were living from paycheck to paycheck. :confused:

Little boys never grow up, our toys just get more expensive! :wink:

Started at 14, bought my own gear outta the Sears & Roebuck catalog when I was 15.
Kinda funny though, the tank came with what can only be described as an aluminum backplate (and it wasn't made out of a stop sign). :wink:
Took a certification course several years later, up 'till then nobody in the area had cards, not even the dive shop owner.

I have to agree with Texas Tek-diver... I remember buying a 12-pack of Mountain Dew and having sugar cubes for lunch when I was going to college! Yes, my energy was much higher and my wallet and waste much thinner. I definately don't think I would have had the money for scuba gear... Then again, I guess I stilll don't but did it anyway.

Originally posted by Texas Tek-diver
I would have loved to have started diving when I was in prime physical condition in my early twenties...

I started at 39 (about 4 months ago) :)
When I was in my early twenties, I smoked 2 packs a day, drank beer like it was water, ate like a bird, and didnt know the meaning of the word exercise. I was an unhealthy skinny little punk!! Next month I'll be 40 (ouch), but Im in ten times better shape now than when I was "20 something". I run 3 miles 5 times a week (so obviously I gave up the smokes), and work out with wieghts 3 nights a week. Im a svette 5'9", 150lb, 32 waist.
My mid-life crisis went from being a health freak to scuba diving!! :) They go well together!

....in 1973? and spg's and octo's and b/c's ? we were doin' it right well....or is that well right, we were doin' it? just save enough lung to clear those hoses!

course we're never to old, or young, to learn.

tony

I started scuba in 1973 at 18 years old. Got certified in 1990 at 35 years old, I did my advanced cert in 1997. And I'll be 47 in Sept. I dove for about 17 years without any cert. But in the 80's it started getting real hard to find someone to sale you gear or air.

certified when I was 30. Like many, it was something I had wanted to do since I was a teen but other pursuits kept me from doing it. A guy I worked with was a diver and we had had some general small talk about it and I gave the "I always wanted to dive" response but never did anything about it. Then a few weeks later in the middle of a crappy day at work I just finally came to the realization that life is too short. Called the local shop to get some info, left the office and signed up for the next class. Best decsion I have ever made. Now I am seriously hooked. Besides the money issue, I think many people do not get certified while young because they have not yet had the joy of life slapped out of them by the rat race. Nothing gets you to focus on the dreams you have for yourself like the daily grind.

Got certified at 34. What held me back before: Previously lived in Illinois (thought you could not dive there; the board proves me wrong); had no car (you can't carry this gear on a bike); didn't feel secure enough to take the class alone. I envy the BOW teens whose parents are taking the class with them. WOW! They get their gear paid for, they have a buddy, and they get a ride to class! Would you believe some of these brats act like they'd rather be at the mall? If I weren't 37, I'd try to get these parents to adopt me.

Back
Top Bottom