How Old Were You When You Started SCUBA?

How Old Were You When You Started SCUBA?

• Less than 15

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • 16-20

• 21-25

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • 26-30

• 31-35

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • 36-40

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • 41-45

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • 46-50

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 51-55

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 56+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba is something I have always wanted to do. Finally at age 36 I was on a cruise and took a discover scuba in the caribean. That was it I had to do this more. When my son was old enough to take the class we took it together I was 38 he was 14. Since then we have had many enjoyable times diving. I have been more involved than he has and for the area I live have done quite a few dives. We are planning a trip to :tree: South Florida :tree: this summer as his High School graduation gift.

:bang:

Tom

I took the class when I was 11 and did the check out dives on my 12th birthday, this was back in the day before PADI droped it's min. age to 10.

After reading all the posts I feel really old. I started must too late in life, however, I have tried to make up for it. I started after my wife gave me a cruise on my 50th birthday. Saw the carribbean water and decided to join the bubble crowd. My wife and I both are now Padi Master Diver certified. Frankly, I don't think I could have afforded all the toys we have accumulated. No matter when you start, the beauty of the underwater world will take control of your every thought. There is not a day that I don't think about or wish I was diving.

Scubaburt: I teach a lot of people the age you were when you first started.

On a several dives in Cozumel I felt like I was the kid on the boat.

Everyone retired with lots of money.(which I don't have)

Glad to see you are a master scuba diver ! Go on to DM !!

BTW - I will be 47 in August and have been at it for 22 years this month.

Ron

Ladies never tell how old, just old enough!! My son went out snorkeling sport mini lobster season. When he came back in from the day in Keys free diving for buggs, Matt asked if he could learn to scuba dive like the divers on the boat. It was boys day out, NO Gulls allowed. The next day I was invited on board. I watched the two divers all day. I was very interested. When we left from our holiday, the next thing we did was to locate a dive shop and sign my son up, I thought. Who would be his buddy, he was 14; guess who- ME. I am now a very active diver working with a shop and doing commercial jobs. My daughter took classes at age 12 right after her brother did so we are a family of three diving. The Aquatically Induced Divorce Syndrome ( AIDS) struck us and I have never looked back. The underwater environment is well worth it. I just love all the different divers I have met and worked with at Jocassee, Keowee, Hartwell Lakes and the Cooper River in South Carolina. Lets go dive!!!!

Brothers & Sisters of the Big Blub,

I was big for my age. "Sea Hunt" was still on. And I had read everything I could on the subject. The local dive shop owner set up strict guidelines about the nature of diving and the inherent level of other trainees maturity. First time through and graduated to open water diving for N.A.U.I. certification.
Before graduation from high scholl I re-certified N.A.S.D.S. Done Sheriff's Department S&R, demo, military diving and more.

And it only gets better all the time!

Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

Well, I'm right in the middle of getting certified, and im 14 and three and a half weeks....... but I wish now that I would have started when I was 12!:)

Kayla:)

I was 21 in 1982 when I first took the course & pool work. Been an avid snorkeler and swimmer all my life, so this was a no-brainer for me. Unfortunately, due to weather and illness, I never did the open water check-out dives, and then the upstate New York winter set in, and more than six months passed. Would've had to take the course over.

Fast-forward to 2001, after many, many years of intending to take that course and finish...my wife presents me with NAUI classes for my 40th.

Now certified and fanatical, I look back and could kick myself repeatedly for not finishing sooner!

More fun than humans can endure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom