How Old Were You When You Started SCUBA?

How Old Were You When You Started SCUBA?

• Less than 15

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • 16-20

• 21-25

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • 26-30

• 31-35

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • 36-40

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • 41-45

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • 46-50

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 51-55

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 56+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by tchil01
I started diving last year one month after my 40th birthday. I was over that cut-off age and had to get a physical before taking the class.
Ty
I just lied. (I had been to the doctor two months before and hadn't worked up the courage for a return visit.) The question (SSI) was something the effect of... are you over 40 and has anyone in your family ever died?

A lot later than I intended to. I always loved the sea as a child, however, neither of my parents swim and my mother is afraid of water so I never learned to swim. In my twenties I was too broke and too busy with school to even consider diving. In my early thirties I spent 3 years at the "Y" taking swimming lessions before I could even think about getting certified as a diver (I"ll save the rest of that story for the "swimming and diving" thread).

44 for me. Scuba has given me the incentive to get back in shape and stay that way so I can enjoy it longer. 14 weeks without a smoke so far (not that hard). It seems like the diet and exersize part might be a little tougher than I thought! :wink:

No worries, I got incentive and goals!

I was a lot older when I started (50) than I am now. Grew up watching seahunt and spending all summer in a mountain lake in Washington state. Winter was spent drooling over scuba catalogues. I always thought that it was beyond my means so I let it go. The things we talk ourselves out of. My wife of 30 years and I got certified in Oklahoma. Open Water at 46 degrees and 6 foot vis. It was worth every minute and dollar spent. We spent our 30th aniversary in Coz. Yes I am a lot younger now. Don't let your dreams die.

God, I've wanted to dive ever since I can remember. I always used to play scuba diver with my brothers and snorkel aroung in the pool. My parents even have stories that I wrote about "skuber" diving when I was in kindergarden. I used to beg them to take me to the dive shop. When I turned 12, my parents were too scared to let me do it. They finally broke down when I was 16. I am 18 now and will be getting my DM this summer.

brandon

I was first introduced to scuba when I was 8 yrs. old back in 1970. Took a course at the YMCA from friends who were instructors. Learned on double hose regulators, steel 72's and no BCs. I'm sure the instructors made an exception in my case because of my deep interest in scuba and marine biology. My first cylinder was a U.S. Divers/Aqualung steel 1800 psi (not sure of cu ft) with a plastic backpack and my first regulator was a Voit Puffer II. I still have these but have long since retired them.

I wish I had gotten certified when I first had the opportunity -

in high school, one of the physical education offerings was scuba. I didn't sign up at the time - dumb, dumb, dumb - I was too busy running around with an epee taking fencing lessons. Had I taken it back then, it would've been covered by my tuition - well, no one ever said I was thinking too clearly when I was a teenager. :wink:

I didn't actually get around to getting certified until just last year -at 32 yrs old.

I got certified 2 weeks after my 26th birthday early this year - sort of a belated birthday present for myself.

I've always been scared of the sea due to a childhood trauma. I figured that the only way to beat it is to face it head-on. So I did, and I've gone as far as diving with the sharks last weekend. My fear is cured, but my addiction to diving has just started...

:)

I was certified at 28, but something I should have done when I was 18. Instead I got a certification in beer drinking and studied hard and long. Thankful a friend happened to take the course and I said "Sure, why not?" Now its hard to imagine life WITHOUT scuba.

SS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom