How often to service unused reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
I have a new reg that was only used twice in fresh water. Bought for my wife, but she used it almost nil. Anyway, was told to get it serviced yearly as it is "under pressure" as the shop described. Is this yearly service needed if it gets little use? Or is it a money generator for the shop? If service is not needed yearly, how can you tell when it is needed?

Thanks,

Dan

fookisan:
how can you tell when it is needed?

Thanks,

Dan
That's the problem..

Follow whatever the manufacturer recommends.

fookisan:
I have a new reg that was only used twice in fresh water. Bought for my wife, but she used it almost nil. Anyway, was told to get it serviced yearly as it is "under pressure" as the shop described. Is this yearly service needed if it gets little use? Or is it a money generator for the shop? If service is not needed yearly, how can you tell when it is needed?

Thanks,

Dan

O-rings and other soft parts do degrade, even in storage. Stored properly, o-ring should be OK for 5 years or more. If you have already abandoned any warrenty conditional on annual service, you can either delay service until a problem occurs or until your (or her) comfort level is exceeded.

Annual service is a money generator that, in many cases, is reasonable. I would rather have a spare rig (and IP guage) and service only when some problem arises. That seems to minimize unnecessary service and works wherever you may be. You will hear tales of folks going 5 to 10 years without service. I believe 2 to 4 years is quite reasonable with good cleaning and care.

If it's never going to be used, there's no need to ever service it. OTOH, if it will be used, have it serviced prior to use if it'll be sitting unused for 6 months or more. If the manufacturer warranty is important to you, do follow manufacturer recommendations.

service it once a year if used regularly but if not in use you can service it from 3-6 month intervals. i do this sort of overkill. my philosophy is better too safe than too sorry.

Walter:
If it's never going to be used, there's no need to ever service it. OTOH, if it will be used, have it serviced prior to use if it'll be sitting unused for 6 months or more. If the manufacturer warranty is important to you, do follow manufacturer recommendations.

I find less corrosion in the reg that I use all the time than I do with the one I rarely use when I open it after a year of no use. I've come to believe that not using requires more checks at least. unless maybe if you store it in very dry conditions.

3-6 month intervals? Are you sure of this?

Spoon:
service it once a year if used regularly but if not in use you can service it from 3-6 month intervals. i do this sort of overkill. my philosophy is better too safe than too sorry.

hoosier:
Yeah, 3-6 months sounds excessive.

It also depends on what you dive in. I would be more comfortable diving an reg that hadn't had service in a few years if I knew it was used in freshwater exclusively.

hoosier:

it is excessive i have to admit but servicing it here is dirt cheap but the norm is every 6 months unused and every year for used.

Back
Top Bottom