Outrageous cost to service reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a story to feed the discussion on when to service regulators.

My first regulator was a Mares, and I had it serviced faithfully every year, even though when I was a new diver I only did one week-long trip a year. After a few years, I became a DM and was employed by the shop I used. I learned then that they did not have a qualified Mares technician on staff, so whenever a Mares regulator came in for service, they sent it out to another shop which did. I didn't see anything wrong with that.

Working with the shop meant using the regulator more. I went on a shop-led trip to Thailand, and I had some regulator problems. This was my first diving since having had it serviced a few months before. They made some adjustments on the liveaboard to get me through the week. Back in the USA, the shop sent the regulator back to the guy for another service. It came back, and I took it to Florida for more diving. I had problems again, and a local shop again got me through that weekend.

Feeling that something was up, my shop sent it directly to Mares. When it came back, Mares said there was nothing wrong with the regulator itself. The problem was that it had obviously not been serviced for years--if it ever had been serviced at all.

Eventually we figured out that the guy they had been sending Mares regulators to for servicing was doing nothing more than holding onto it for a couple of weeks and then sending it back untouched. During the time I owned that regulator, it had happened 7 times.

Yep.

A couple years ago, we had a thread in which a former shop technician said he averaged 8 minutes for a regulator service. When I was taught, I was told to put the non-replaced parts in a hypersonic batch for 10 minutes, so he obviously wasn't doing that. If someone is averaging 8 minutes for a service and charging you for an hour or more of work, that is criminal, too.

But I'll be it happens a lot.

This is another reason why I service my own regs and rebreathers.

I am very @nal about how things are done and I don't trust the guy that is getting paid by the job (the more he does the more money he makes) to do it with the detail that I would. Same with the tools that are used. I can't tell you how many times I have seen "service techs" using stainless steel dental type picks to dig o-rings out. Especially the ones on the inside of the female end of LP hoses and DIN o-rings. Or even worse digging reg o-rings out. Or watch them rip out a crusty SPG spool with needle nose pliers throw some new o-rings on it and jam the same now damaged spool back in.

Back
Top Bottom