How many SB'ers have you met?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I first was doing a bit of online research for a vacation in 2005 and discovered SB, then shortly after I joined I posted a question about a good place to take my kids when they first certified, and DeputyDan and Herman invited us to join them on Bonaire.

That set the hook, both for Bonaire, and for meeting and diving with SB members. I went back to Bonaire with a SB group hosted by Cardzard in 2010, and then hosted my own SB/DNY group trip this year. DNY alone helped me meet many dozen SB characters.

I have met and dived with folks threw SB, and run into SB folks while diving, both on trips to warm waters, and locally.

I can't count the number of SB friends I have met and dive with, even if I take my shoes off, and count on my toes. After I run out of fingers and toes, I just say lots.

And I do mention Scubaboard to other divers. If other divers do not want to hear the words, "ScubaBoard" that is their problem, and not mine. FTITCTAJ.

I know a couple of dozen, about half I already knew and then they showed up on SB, about half I have met since joining.

Quite a few. Here's some to name a few, and those that I don't, no slight intended, just can't muster the brain power at the moment:
Kraken, YAF, Hetland, Superbugman, Kevin Carlisle, InstaGator, Wayward Son, NetDoc, LivesforSharks, Mselenaous, Denisegg, SeaYoda, JHayes75, Sibermike7, wjeffris, Jimboalaska, Mopar, AnotherCaptBob, Page, willardj, Rick Murchison, Tom Smedley, Divingin, Krafcheck, Capt.Grumby, Snepdiver, Tessunderwater, VortexBlue, DJ Johnny Mac, Stasia, SilverBack, MrXRay, 777, Flightlead, Cardzard......
., VAPOR LOCK just occured.

Last edited:
However many there were at Oktoberfest Megadive plus two. Will see more at the Spring Fool's Megadive and more still at the Cozumel Invasion. Remembering the number isn't as important as remembering the shared experience. :D

I'll be in the Key Largo in May, so I'll try to look a couple of you up.

My first Ocean shore dive was with Marvel, Jenny and a few others from SB at LBTS. My first deep Ocean dive was with Brent on the Spiegal Grove. That was in 2005. I went to the first several invasions when they were in Key Largo with Conch Republic, and Blue Water Divers.

We have maybe a dozen members I know in the Denver area. When we went to Coz we hooked up with SB folk and had about 25 at dinner. Ironically diving the past few years in S. CA I have not meet that many, a few. I have meet hundreds of SBers over the years.

This was back when the invasion was maybe 40 people. In just a few short years the number grew to the hundreds and the whole thing became somewhat hectic. The invasion is now done by members for a free dive trip to Coz. Gary has a Keys event annually, but he does it on his own. El Orans and Marvel like so many are no longer is associated with SB. Times they change.

64288234_aCFuuaI2.jpg

Michelle, Jennie, Gary, Mania, Marvel.

Last edited:
Just a few, Scubamountaingirl, Trace, ScubaSam. I've known TSandM via messaging for a number of years and hope to dive with her in the caves some day. NetDoc wasn't around when I was in Orlando last year. I see Jax is looking to do an Advanced Wreck course with Doppler, and so am I, so maybe that will happen this summer.

I've met 4 other Scubaboard members - one in Cozumel, one in Roatan, and two locally.

Living in the mountains, where there aren't any naturally-occuring lakes or cave diving, is not conducive to diving or meeting other divers.

I meet a few every year on my boat. It wouldn't suprise me if more have been on ScubaBoard, but then again I can't tell you how many people in the industry don't even know about it, at least where I am.

On a side note... got real close to introducing myself to Netdoc at DEMA last month, I turned around and he was right next to me, but he was busy conversing with someone and I didn't want to "barge in". I suspect there's a lot of "near misses" out there.

On a side note... got real close to introducing myself to Netdoc at DEMA last month, I turned around and he was right next to me, but he was busy conversing with someone and I didn't want to "barge in". I suspect there's a lot of "near misses" out there.
Next time, please barge in! :D My primary function at DEMA is to meet as many ScubaBoardians as possible! I was down a few that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom