Question How many messages have you posted on SB as a multiple of your total lifetime dive count?

User SB Messages / Total User Scuba Dives?

• 12,500 times +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >= 1,000 times < 12,500 times

• >= 125 times < 1,000 times

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you find it tragic if someone has the time to check up and participate in a forum about one of their interests (which can take mere seconds) but doesn't nearly as often have time to gather gear, get to the site, execute the dive, and recover their gear?
Or is it tragic that not everyone can eat/breath/sleep diving 24/7.
Is it tragic that I keep biblical priorities (God, spouse, kids, work.... in that order) resulting in not often having a full day to give to diving.

I find it tragic that you seem to think posts to dive ratio is a reason to demean people.

With all due respect,

James
I think you are taking “tragic” wrong. I think they mean it in more of a sarcastic joking around way.

The highest reaction scores all belong to Pubsters, not a quality indicator :)
Look at that 15 users> 1.5 , 4 users at 0.8-1.0 and 15 users < 0.5, it’s almost a perfectly symmetrical ecosystem …. Probably why it still competes with Facebook. ✌️

I think you are taking “tragic” wrong. I think they mean it in more of a sarcastic joking around way.
Entirely possible I misread the intent. I may have a bit of knee jerk reaction, having seen posts over the past (here and in other forums/subjects) that equate to "you don't have enough experience to warrant an opinion" and people that think if others aren't more experienced than they, then that person can't possibly have anything to add. @Heat Miser , if I misread your intent, my apologies. Forums and text messages often rob subtlies from our posts/messages!

Respectfully,

James

Entirely possible I misread the intent. I may have a bit of knee jerk reaction, having seen posts over the past (here and in other forums/subjects) that equate to "you don't have enough experience to warrant an opinion" and people that think if others aren't more experienced than they, then that person can't possibly have anything to add. @Heat Miser , if I misread your intent, my apologies. Forums and text messages often rob subtlies from our posts/messages!

Respectfully,

James
There’s judgement circle mate …. It’s not a pass or fail test. :) I can see people I like to follow on both sides of the spectrum for different reasons. And I think that is why I like scubaboard :)

It shouldn't really be about dive count anyway, it should be about hours under water and different environments. Personally my dive count has slowed way down but my dives are ~ 3x as long as they used to be.

Dive count is just a dick (or vagina??) measuring contest.

Why can't we make this really complicated?

The derivative of the value of [(10x Bullseyes + 1x Likes - 10x Disagrees) / #Dives] per year?
This would give us the speed of personal growth!

Or maybe we take the value per month and integrate that over time to get the net goodness of a person?
I am sure we can further complicate this by adding dimensions.

The constants (now 1 and 10) could even be determined experimentally. That would combine sociology with statistics.
We would end up with some adequately deep philosophical questions, I hope.

Forums thrive on those.

Hey, when I signed up here, no one told me there would be math!
You think these guys were expecting homework?

FB_IMG_1684183907022.jpg

The highest reaction scores all belong to Pubsters, not a quality indicator :)
Quality and Quantity are inversely unrelated.
Hence, pubsters publish some of the Greatest Posts :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom