Question How many messages have you posted on SB as a multiple of your total lifetime dive count?

User SB Messages / Total User Scuba Dives?

• 12,500 times +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >= 1,000 times < 12,500 times

• >= 125 times < 1,000 times

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why I do a paper log. As a tech instructor, I did loads of short dives where I would take a few minutes to set something up for the coming instructional dive and then return to the surface. It's too much of a PITA to go into the Shearwater log and take those out.
Or use something like SubSurface and merge them into a single dive....

Yep, I can do that.

Too much work for me. I just scroll to the dive log, look at the depth and time, and scratch them into the pages of my log.

I've reached the point in my life that looking at a graphic representation of a dive I did 8 years ago is not all that appealing to me.

is setting a 10 minute delay not long enough?

A dive log is not the Holy Bible or a legal document. Just a bit of fun for your own benefit and a personal diving journal. Some dive centres may ask to see it, but it would take little effort to fake entries if you were so inclined. I keep an electronic log of number of dives, dates and locations, but that's it. I regret not keeping a comprehensive log and discarding my old paper logbooks which ran to 400 dives, but I was too cool for that kind of thing at the time! If nothing else, it made great toilet reading :)

is setting a 10 minute delay not long enough?
I merged a number of the skills in rescue into 2 "dives". The 10 minutes likely would suffice, but it is nice to manipulate each component as one sees fit I have the default set at perhaps 3-5 minutes. Can't remember specifically.

I merged a number of the skills in rescue into 2 "dives". The 10 minutes likely would suffice, but it is nice to manipulate each component as one sees fit I have the default set at perhaps 3-5 minutes. Can't remember specifically.
I figured changing this setting would address most issues that you and @boulderjohn faced. Though I can imagine as an instructor, 10 minutes may not be enough if you have a surface swim as well.

Have never been bothered about writing a paper logbook. Too much like administration faffing. I know many people who get a lot of pleasure from writing their logs.

Since moving to a Shearwater several years ago, their cloudy logging system is really easy to use and it takes a moment to add the location and a few notes. Now on a rebreather, there’s another two Shearwater computers which integrate well.

Like most cloud software, it’s good enough and simple to use. They store the data so it’s available on all my computers, tablets and smartphones.

But what’s a dive?

Local lake. Jump in, mess about a bit, get out to adjust some kit, back in again. The Shearwater will count that as two dives if you’re on the surface for X mins.

Or a DiveMASTER doing try dives. A load of five minute dives in a day.

Or a pool dive, is that a dive?
You cannot just count 'dives'. You need to count types of dives.
divetypes.jpg

Reactions: Doc
After 64 years of sucking compressed air but only 25 years of the Nets, this is the one hill i will plant my flag….Consider this particular OP, about the best thing it ever typed:

IMG_4964.jpeg

Nope. Tried not to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom