Question How many messages have you posted on SB as a multiple of your total lifetime dive count?

User SB Messages / Total User Scuba Dives?

• 12,500 times +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >= 1,000 times < 12,500 times

• >= 125 times < 1,000 times

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know that the ratio really matters that much, but what I find "disappointing" is when people intentionally are grossly misleading about the number of dives they have. I even recently saw someone take the time to explain that their dive count is incorrect and unrepresentative of reality, and in doing so, expend more time then it would require to actually adjust their dive count. Humans are strange.
There are two ways to count your dives.
  1. Look at the number of your last dive on whatever log book system you use.
  2. Take a guess based on how many you think you must have by now.
I think a lot of people use method #2, and if they do, I think they are grossly exaggerating. I know I feel like I have done at least twice as many as I actually have, and every time I log a dive the reality I see somehow surprises me.

@boulderjohn I imagine your average dive is more technical and possibly longer/needs more prep than my average dive too, I imagine that not all dives are equal. 😃

@boulderjohn I imagine your average dive is more technical and possibly longer/needs more prep than my average dive too, I imagine that not all dives are equal. 😃
No, all dives are not equal, and that includes all my own dives. Yes, I do my share of technical dives, but I also do plenty of normal, average NDL dives, too. I will soon be in Fiji exploring the reefs for a couple weeks.

Number of dives VS posts here is meaningless. I dive lots in the summer and not much in the winter, so I have more posts/less diving or vice versa in the summer.

There are two ways to count your dives.
  1. Look at the number of your last dive on whatever log book system you use.
  2. Take a guess based on how many you think you must have by now.
I think a lot of people use method #2, and if they do, I think they are grossly exaggerating. I know I feel like I have done at least twice as many as I actually have, and every time I log a dive the reality I see somehow surprises me.
But what’s a dive?

Local lake. Jump in, mess about a bit, get out to adjust some kit, back in again. The Shearwater will count that as two dives if you’re on the surface for X mins.

Or a DiveMASTER doing try dives. A load of five minute dives in a day.

Or a pool dive, is that a dive?

How many posts? Lots! I'm a social person...

Dives? Some.... About 10-20 a year.

Local diving is a very small window (3-4 months of the year), and I don't have a bankroll to do much more, nor do I consider it my only hobby....

But what’s a dive?

Local lake. Jump in, mess about a bit, get out to adjust some kit, back in again. The Shearwater will count that as two dives if you’re on the surface for X mins.

I've generally used 15 ft for at least 20 min. The depth allows me to use my dives at BHB, which are usually 90-120 min. I think my shortest dive ever was 30 something minutes, terrrible vis.

Both my Oceanic VT3 and Shearwater Teric have an end dive delay of 10 min, avoids having a short surface interval count as 2 dives. With the Teric, you could always renumber the next dive to avoid counting a short surface interval as 2 dives.

I haven't had any pool dives since my 1997 OW. I did not count my Rescue scenarios as dives, but recorded them in my log book.

I've never had a requisite dive count that I did not easily exceed. I did Solo Diver at 758 dives.

But what’s a dive?

I know a diver who told me she did twelve dives in one day. I asked her how that was even possible with eleven surface intervals. She said it was during her rescue course. She counted every five-minute drop.

That's why I do a paper log. As a tech instructor, I did loads of short dives where I would take a few minutes to set something up for the coming instructional dive and then return to the surface. It's too much of a PITA to go into the Shearwater log and take those out.

1684274085809.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom