Question How many messages have you posted on SB as a multiple of your total lifetime dive count?

User SB Messages / Total User Scuba Dives?

• 12,500 times +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >= 1,000 times < 12,500 times

• >= 125 times < 1,000 times

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heat Miser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wanted to see how many tragics go on SB more than dive, likewise I was interested in the average diver use of posted messages.

edited from original

"I wanted to see what the how many tragics go on SB more than dive, likewise I was interested in the average diver use of posted messges."

.. go on SB more than dive,
Instead of focusing on quantity,,,why not look at quality?
Do you have a higher reaction score number(likes) vs your post count. So you have 317 posts but only 174 'likes' ??. Clearly trip / dive / gear reports get more likes and it's easy to see those members that post them.

the average so far is pretty close to 1 so there may be no dichotomy
It’s really not, the way they ranges are binned. It’s 1.5-15 times more, which really doesn’t tell you much. I.e. I’m at ~15 times.

It’s really not, the way they ranges are binned. It’s 1.5-15 times more, which really doesn’t tell you much. I.e. I’m at ~15 times.
I am at less than 2 times... 1500 dives (most of them done between 1985 and 1989, when I was working in resorts as DM and instructor)
2719 messages
4419 reactions.
I started posting a lot when I suddenly had a lot of spare time due to lockdowns and later to health problems.

I joined ScubaBoard in 2004, and for the next nearly 15 years, I averaged nearly 5 posts a day. That was because I was very interested in the topics being discussed. I read about scuba and decompression theory extensively, and I felt I had a lot to say that would be helpful. It does not take long to make a post. You can do one in seconds. Posting 5 times a day takes no time at all.

In contrast, doing meaningful dives can take a very long time, and you can't just walk into your home office to do them. I have done dives lasting hours, and that does not include all the time necessary to prepare for the dive ahead of time and break down equipment after it.

Logically, then, a person who is very interested in scuba and enjoys participating in discussions will have many times more posts than dives, even if that person has a lot of dives. It makes perfect sense.

But for some reason, some people who lack the capacity for logical thought seem to think that having more posts than dives means you do not have the necessary background to make valuable comments. These people who lack the capacity for logical thought think it is clever to demean those whose avid interest in scuba and whose deep reading on the topic results in a high number of posts. They typically make asinine comments about "posting less and diving more," and they actually think that makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom