How many dives did you have when you did AOW

How Many Dives did you have when you started your AOW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beejw

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just curious as to what the dives:cert level ratio is kinda.

AOW at 34

-> edit: Please post the number of dives you had if over 25. cheers.

Beej

I had 50+ when I took AOW (sorry I don't remember the exact number, it was back in '84).

"AOW" didn't exist when I got certified...
By the time I got around to it I'd been diving for 25 years, so my "data point" isn't really relevant to the question :)
Rick

I had 84.

Mike

I had 55. I only took it because ops in Key Largo want an AOW card to dive the "deep wrecks" without a DM or Guide.

I actually had well over 400 dives before I did the AOW course. My original NAUI certification in 1971 was pretty extensive and incorporated many of the skills taught in the more modern AOW programs. That said, once I got certified I dove a lot ...sometimes as often as 4 days a week. My dives were mostly shore dives in south Fla. It was many years later that I committed to a PADI AOW course in Atlanta. Once I got back on the training track I stuck with it and went for my DM.

I fear that I still have not bothered.

I only had about 15 in. And really I know divers who have never taken an AOW and are much better divers then me. I feel like I got robbed by an AOW course. I mean to some degree I had enough dives in that I felt comfortable in the 30 ft. quarry and it was nice to expand my horizon a lil' with an instructor present but really at the price I paid it didnt' seem worth it being that a lot of the people I dive with are very very good divers who I would have been comfortable pushing my limits a little more. Now I feel like the dives that I did in my AOW course were easy compared to some of the dives I make now. Oh well!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom