How many dives did you have when you did AOW

How Many Dives did you have when you started your AOW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footslogger:
I actually had well over 400 dives before I did the AOW course. My original NAUI certification in 1971 was pretty extensive and incorporated many of the skills taught in the more modern AOW programs. That said, once I got certified I dove a lot ...sometimes as often as 4 days a week. My dives were mostly shore dives in south Fla. It was many years later that I committed to a PADI AOW course in Atlanta. Once I got back on the training track I stuck with it and went for my DM.
There's a pretty good point here... my '71 cert class covered pretty much everything that today's AOW class covers, plus rescue diver and "entry level" decompression procedures. When I did take the AOW course I found myself thinking "Don't they teach *anything* in the regular SCUBA course anymore?"
Rick

... which means that now It's important to take such classes as AOW and Rescue soon as possible

took AOW right after OW ... Rescue soon after that ... while you can say that I would have retained more if I had waited to take rescue after having more dives, you can also say It's never too soon to be a safer diver

I haven't taken "Rescue" as a course. I don't see the need (FOR ME)

The reason you do the AOW course especially the deep dive is so that if you get into trouble with getting narked you have an instructor along, the idea is to show you the difference between 18mtr dive and 30mtr dive, the last AOW course I ran one chap actually did start to feel light headed at 24mtrs, he did admit that he went into the water with a blase approach "I wont feel strange" but at least he now knows how it feels. The open water course taught you the skills you need for diving whereas the AOW takes you that bit further along, and most places you will not get a dive beyond the capabilities of an open water cert however many dives you have done.
In the Red Sea from instance, all the Livaboards insist on the AOW card as most of the dives are below 25 mtrs.

pwwm

howarde:
I haven't taken "Rescue" as a course. I don't see the need (FOR ME)
Ahhhh, young Grasshopper.... You cannot see, until you go....
I recommend the rescue course for everyone; haven't met anyone yet who felt they'd wasted their time on it.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Ahhhh, young Grasshopper.... You cannot see, until you go....
I recommend the rescue course for everyone; haven't met anyone yet who felt they'd wasted their time on it.
Rick
I've read the book... That's enough for me. I feel confident that I could make a rescue in any given situation. I don't need a card to prove it.

Again, I am just speaking for myself. I'm not trying to be cavalier about it... I just know how I am - I'm content with self education rather than structured education. CPR certification is one thing (worth having, and worth getting from a certified instructor), but the rescue diver cert (IMO) is just another card - which for me (FOR ME) holds little value.

howarde:
I've read the book... That's enough for me. I feel confident that I could make a rescue in any given situation. I don't need a card to prove it.

Again, I am just speaking for myself. I'm not trying to be cavalier about it... I just know how I am - I'm content with self education rather than structured education. CPR certification is one thing (worth having, and worth getting from a certified instructor), but the rescue diver cert (IMO) is just another card - which for me (FOR ME) holds little value.
You haven't lived until you get Smedley's rescue scenario complete with the hysterical girlfriend and Bubba with his illegal trotline running through the site... these things just can't be adequately expressed (or appreciated) in print :D
Rick

Rick Murchison:
You haven't lived until you get Smedley's rescue scenario complete with the hysterical girlfriend and Bubba with his illegal trotline running through the site... these things just can't be adequately expressed (or appreciated) in print :D
Rick
Maybe I'll have to make the drive up to the "Riviera" - I wouldn't mind a challenge.

I know I'm anti-education in general. It didn't work for me, and I don't feel that taking classes is the only way to learn.

For some people though, it's invaluable. AOW can be very valuable, as can rescue and other subsequent certifications. I just like people to know that taking a class isn't always the only way to learn things. Diving with good divers and diving a lot can replace the need for classes, and the money you save can go towards boat dives, or better SCUBA gear :wink:

Uh, not being picky or critical here, but am I the only one who noticed something about the previous post?
I'm glad you see the value of CPR, Howarde, but do you realize WHY it's of value? The answer lies in how it's taught. One does not simply read the book, watch the video, and then feel confident in their ability as a rescuer. That only truly comes after one gets the mannequin, gets on the floor, and PRACTICES their new skill. Take it from those of us who have been in the situation a thousand times...the reality of performing CPR is much different than what you see in the books. Certainly, dummy practice doesn't cover all the bases, either, but it's a lot closer than the written or video materials.
The same goes for the skills covered in the rescue class. You can read all you want about handling a panicked diver, or performing a systematic bottom search, or any of a dozen skills covered by the class. But until you've actually PRACTICED and drilled on them with trained instructors and "live dummies", it's all just theory.
While I applaud your confidence, I'll lean toward what others have said...I don't know anyone who has regretted taking the Rescue Diver course, even if it's just for the chance to practice skills they haven't used in a long time. Such 'scenario based' training is valuable to even the most experienced diver.

Back
Top Bottom