How great is the risk (in your perception)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Support" is a rather over stating it. I rarely dive in a team and in the rare cases I do, I have never relied on team gas for my bail out. I'm just not into the harshness of calling strategies I don't use "dumb". Dive and let dive. I try to leave political style tactics for politics and keep my Scuba discussions on the friendly side.
That's great except doing dumb stuff is why people drown. Speaking out against dumb practices can stop someone from drowning.

I don’t rely on team bailout either. However I don’t ridicule it nor the people who elect to use it. I also know there is a lot of dogma as we are reading here.

I don’t rely on team bailout either. However I don’t ridicule it nor the people who elect to use it. I also know there is a lot of dogma as we are reading here.
Why not ridicule it?

I'd also write that diving past thirds is dumb.

Not enough bailout?

Come on dude.

No dog in the fight, just a clarification.
I suspect he's referring to the strategy of team bailout. A fatality that likely resulted from using team bailout planning that probably could have been avoided by carrying individual bail out.

It's been a good thread, this is a little off topic, but let's keep communication clear if we can.

If there's a mainstream diving practice that's producing regular fatalities careful and respectful discussion might get a few thoughtful divers moving towards safer diving practices.

Team bailout (reserve gas) exists both OC and CCR so I've gone ahead with another thread if anyone would like to hash it out there unmixed with this thread's topic.

Cheers,
Cameron

Not enough bailout?

Come on dude.
No. Not just "not enough bail out". Show me examples of this strategy resulting in death. I don't think you can. You don't like it? Don't use it. You don't understand it? Don't use it. It's not like Ratio Deco where the danger is demonstrable and quantified.

Have there ever been SCRs outside of the military that didn't haven't had O2 sensor and electronics. All the ones I have seen in the USN in the 1970s were total disasters.
A lot of rb80 guys don't use a sensor.

No. Not just "not enough bail out". Show me examples of this strategy resulting in death. I don't think you can. You don't like it? Don't use it. You don't understand it? Don't use it. It's not like Ratio Deco where the danger is demonstrable and quantified.
Pete. I don't keep a calalogue of diving deaths.

It's not hard to see that not having enough gas to ascend in event of a rebreather failure can lead to drowning.

Denial. Not just a river in Egypt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom