How do you wear your long hair to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when you say braiding, do you mean a plat??

Hi ! another interesting thing, is the mask strap protection.
My hair is very long as well (lower back) and I just do a pony tail with that kind of chignon and it works well. With the neoprene protection, it's a pleasure, but I have to be carefull no to forget my brush for after the dive. ;-)

I have long layered hair with long fringe but not long enough to be held back together with the normal ponytail. I usually plait the fringe, then just tie the rest up in a ponytail. Works well until my hair got a bit too long & keeps "floating" in front of my face during dives...I got scared by it during my night dives a few times thinking it's some funny sea creatures swimming right into my face! hahaha...when that happens, I know it's time to get my hair trimmed...

My GF actually just uses a loose cloth elastic and does a low and loose pony-tail arrangement. The hair spreads out under the hood, between the neck and neoprene. Seems to work fine...

A friend of mine always puts hers in pigtails that stick out under her hood. I just stick it back in a ponytail!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

I always just pulled mine back too. It was long to the middle of my back, but I just got it cut to just past my shoulders so it should be interesting to see what to do with it now!

I put a pony tail on the top of my head OR wear a hood (I do get cold quite a bit so the hood is usually the way I go)

I used to wear my hair 6" past my shoulders, and had lots of trouble diving with it until I decided a short cut eliminated those problems, was much easier to maintain in general, and looked good even immediately post-dive.

I actually went to a bar in Boston immediately after a night dive a few years ago, with no time at all spent on my 1.5" hair. While ordering a drink I had a stylist from a chichi salon ask me what products I used to get that look. I told her I used the ocean and a wetsuit hood, and she laughed and told me she was charging her clients $90 for a gell that did the same thing. Needless to say, I had a good laugh too!

I am so glad I found this thread. I just went down and bought 2 12" hair gloves today. (They are located just a few minutes from here.) I can't wait to try one on a dive.

Dion :)

Wow! You got to actually visit them!!! Send pictures if you get a chance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom