How do you wear your long hair to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hnladue:
Wow! You got to actually visit them!!! Send pictures if you get a chance!

LOL I assume you meant me. Unfortunately I didn't take my camera, so I don't have any pictures. They did have a lot of displays of their products, they have some pretty cool looking designs. I like the leather ones with laces, but I wouldn't really have any need to wear one of those around here.

The guy who talked to, who I think is the owner, was really nice and I told him to check out Scuba Board if he wanted any suggestions or to see how people were using his product.

Dion :)

What I do is put my hair into two braids (they don't have to be perfect braids). Having two braids keeps it from being bulky if you wear a hood. A great thing also is one of those mask strap covers. Mask straps is the thing that gets most tangled in hair.

I never tried one of those doo rags or hair gloves because I don't want to look like a pirate. I'm sure they work great but I'm totally fine with the braids.

I have butt-length hair, and the best arrangement for me is to wear a lycra hood. It's light and you can't feel it. I also have a neoprene mask strap, those things make a giant difference.
I often dive with my hair in just a braid (yes, a plait), but it comes loose around my face anyway, and gets stuck in my mask and on the tank valve. The lycra hood eliminates the terrible knots, totally! Sometimes, though, I like to dive au natural. :)

(have I mentioned recently how much I like long hair on women?)

W

I have been making for a few years an item that seems to work and keep my ponytail from snaggling like it does when I used to braid it. Slides on over the ponytail to keep it neat. let me know if you want one. it's kinda of like what we put on horses tails to keep them neat and clean for trailering.

I thought I'd offer my perspective....

My wife always had hair down past shoulder length and I made it know I was fond of her having it that way. A while back she had it cut a bit above the shoulder and that was OK. After getting certified she decided one day that enough was enough and had a nice cut done that is shorter than I would have ever considered to be attractive.

We guess what? she looks great and one PITA element of diving is history for her. The the take-away message here is that take what your significant other says with a grain of salt. A take-charge woman is kewl too.

Pete

If I am doing a whole day of diving I will put my hair in a upside down braid. It is like a french braid that starts at the base of the neck and works its way up. Then I start a new regular french braid. and combine the two into a bun. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it so worth it.

Hope this helps.

Heather

Flora:
If I am doing a whole day of diving I will put my hair in a upside down braid. It is like a french braid that starts at the base of the neck and works its way up. Then I start a new regular french braid. and combine the two into a bun. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it so worth it.

Hope this helps.

Heather
whenever I braid my hair for diving, I find it gets more coarse and snarls and I end up with wads of hair in the brush. I used to put put hair bands every handwith or so along the length(when it was down to my butt) but it got thinner and thinner and I don't like to lose any(just like the men)

coralcuts:
whenever I braid my hair for diving, I find it gets more coarse and snarls and I end up with wads of hair in the brush. I used to put put hair bands every handwith or so along the length(when it was down to my butt) but it got thinner and thinner and I don't like to lose any(just like the men)

I know what you mean, I hate having tangles in my hair. My hair is fine, but it is also thick, slightly wavy and down past my waist so it tends to snarl and tangle easily. Lots of people have mentioned doing braids, but I am going to give you my whole routine for getting out the tangles, after the dive. It works well for me.

1) My b/f who is also my dive buddy braids my hair as tight as he can, nothing fancy, just starts the braid low at the base of my neck. I only put one ponytail holder at the end, which he does pretty tight so it doesn't come off in the water. (I use those thicker wrapped rubber ponytail holders that are glued together, so they don't have any metal on them. )

2) I keep my hair like this until I am done diving for the day. At the end of the day when we go back to our room, he helps me remove the braid by unbraiding it and separating the hair as much as he can.

3) Then I get into the shower and wet and wash my hair at the scalp with a mild shampoo and let the water rinse the salt out of my hair and run my fingers through it to straighten it out a bit.

4) I always bring a big bottle of cheap conditioner and a shower comb (wide tooth) with me. So now I turn off the water and put handfulls of conditioner on my hair while it is really wet and, starting at the bottom, use the shower comb to get the worst tangles out. Once my hair is tangle free, I finish my shower and rinse out the conditioner. (Also, the Aussie company has just come out with a conditioner/detangler called "Knot Forgotten" that I think I might try on my next trip, as it works pretty well. And the reason I say cheap conditioner is that I use a lot of it and I hate to waste the good stuff, I can follow my rinse with a better conditioner if I need it.)

I hope this helps.

Dion :)

P.S. Yesterday I went and bought a 12 inch "hair glove" and I am ordering a dee rag too, that I am going to try instead of a braid on my next dive trip. I am hoping to use the dee rag to help hold back my bangs and control the flyaways on the side and then tie it under the hair glove in the back to keep it in place. (I was going to braid it and then use the hair glove, but my braid is usually pretty thick and I don't think the hair glove will fit over it.) So I'll try this new configuration in October and let everyone know how it worked for me. It would be nice to be able to take my hair out on longer surface intervals.

stardust:
I have found the best braid is to French Braid it if you can; I did one better and cut if off.

I also just got into diving with blunt cut hair bout my chin. I found it a royal pain to keep out of my face while diving and mask. I can't wait till it gets down to my shoulders so I can either pony-tail it or braid it out of my face. I did find that my hair was too short for a pony-tail to stay in, and my barret kept moving around and I'd keep thinking I lost it.

Back
Top Bottom