Dive Guide too Fast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hell has a special place for dive guides that go way ahead and never look back to check on their clients. Safety is always the number one priority. And this is not safe. I have seen it many time with others in a group.

Yes, some guides swim way too fast. My solution has been to just go at my pace, they (nearly) always come back. If they don't then complain to the owner.

I took a few years of pause from guiding and on the first dive I did with 2 clients I managed to make them go almost OOG in 15 minutes, I was still just above half tank.
It's mostly my mistake, I'm in the water to guide them, not run the dive site as fast as possible, it's their mistake for not telling me immediately that I'm ruining their experience.

My experience with guides is they go fast partly because the newer inexperienced divers think they will see more if going fast. On a fragile reef where if you go fast, you are above and away with less likelihood of kicking corals and such. The other thing, most divers do not have their buoyancy dialed in, and are sufficiently overweighted, thus to keep from crashing onto the reef-- go fast.
On a recent trip I told the guide to go slow, yet even his slower pace was a bit fast! Then I learned one other thing.. he has been guiding a long time (20 years) on those reefs, but when asked about certain fish or behaviors, he couldn't answer. The critters were seen when going slow.. Hmmm...He did know, through local chit chat with other guides where to find seahorses, but that was about it.

Back
Top Bottom