How do you secure your SMB spool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20200510_132912.jpg
Zeagle EZ mount pouch.

It's not the cheapest solution, but it's convenient.

Pockets... spoil and Smb in the left, wet notes and Spare mask in the right. Everything clipped to the pocket so it does not fall out when Retrieving something else. Having it clipped to out of a pocket it to much of a snag hazard.

If you're going for a overhead dive, completely agreed.

But if you're going for a chill open water dive in a wetsuit?
That seems overkill.

My buddy and I recently started trying this. Finding ways to simplify stowing it when our fingers are numb. It is much easier (than the traditional way) when wearing bulky dry gloves.
We still clip to a hole as well, though note shown in the quick video he made.
It was especially nice when we were doing our lost line drills.

Attachments

• spool bungee 1.jpg
    spool bungee 1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 115
  • spool bungee 2.jpg
    spool bungee 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 123
B7175E5A-9DEC-4DCA-A1B6-9DEDD389145F.jpeg
Probably at least ten ways to do it, some permanently attach the smb too.

i shoot one every dive, some sites, I will shoot a bigger one, when it’s a crowded site, I’ll just use a small one. You can use different color smbs to signal the boat different things. You can shoot a few when demonstrating for students or other divers.

For all the reasons above, I keep my spool and smb separate and have come up with this best solution for me. I have yet to have one come unclipped, few hundred dives.

If you're going for a overhead dive, completely agreed.

But if you're going for a chill open water dive in a wetsuit?
That seems overkill.

lol. In the northeast there is no such thing as a”chill open water dive”. I would rather have it there each dive where I know where it is then change it depending in the dive and fumble in an emergency. Plus my buddy always knows where mine is if he needs it.

Having it clipped to out of a pocket it to much of a snag hazard.

If it's at the bottom of the backplate, it's effectively under the wing, so there's zero imaginary snag risk.

i shoot one every dive, some sites, I will shoot a bigger one, when it’s a crowded site, I’ll just use a small one. You can use different color smbs to signal the boat different things. You can shoot a few when demonstrating for students or other divers.

Seriously ?

How many SMBs do you take on each dive?

I carry only one per dive.

lol. In the northeast there is no such thing as a”chill open water dive”. I would rather have it there each dive where I know where it is then change it depending in the dive and fumble in an emergency. Plus my buddy always knows where mine is if he needs it.

Agreed. I was more thinking of having your reel preattached to a smb.

My thinking is, if I have to fumble to release an smb in emergency, it's better to just unclip it, roll it out and release it

Seriously ?

How many SMBs do you take on each dive?

I carry only one per dive.

Just one unless demonstrating. I’ll take two on a planned deco dive but that’s really not a big deal. We have some dive sites that take you off the island, with the current, I keep a bigger one in my dive bag in case we go there but don’t take two on every dive.

Some are real fiends about having them permanently connected - I don’t for those reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom