How do you secure your SMB spool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have pockets. :(

H...

Easily remedied...and unlike the current situation with toilet paper and hand sanitizer...you can buy more than one...two's the bomb...

Get a few extra keepers and 2'' ''D'' rings...

W...

What is a butt sleeve?
Attaches to the bottom of your BC, somehow, I knew you would ask :). Hope to see you soon.

upload_2020-5-17_18-7-2.png

If you used it every dive, would you still carry it in a pocket?

I don't use it on every dive, as some call for ascending the anchor line on the wreck, but I do use it frequently (probably 50% of dives). And yes, I would still carry it in a pocket if I used it on every dive. It's really easy to get it out of my pocket.

You guys that carry them in a pocket - do you use it every dive or are you carry it for a backup/emergency type thing??

If you used it every dive, would you still carry it in a pocket?

I use it almost every dive to practice shooting a dsmb or to actually surface safely. I would also use it in an emergency, if need be. It always goes in the left leg pocket.

I keep my buoy attached to my finger spool with a small loop of 1/8' bungee on the bouy to secure it tight to the spool for stowage. 4" down on the line I have a 3/4" wide heavy rubber wristband (holiday novelty from the dollar store). I use the rubber wristband to secure the line to the spool to prevent loose line entanglements and to secure just the line on the spool when I reach the surface. I use a double ender to secure it to my aft waist D ring. That's the way I feel comfortable but everyone is different and each needs to find the config that makes them feel comfortable. Regardless of how and where you stow it it is worthless if you do not practice deployment. You need to be able to deploy it without drowning yourself in less than benign conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom