How do you secure your SMB spool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. I was more thinking of having your reel preattached to a smb.

My thinking is, if I have to fumble to release an smb in emergency, it's better to just unclip it, roll it out and release it

Yes, Mine is always pre clipped and ready to deploy.

I keep mine separate, as I'm a vacation diver so normally don't get to shoot one up. Mine serves more for emergency use, rather than the day-to-day utility. Has anyone found themselves in an emergency where shooting one up needed to be done fast where there's no time to assemble?

Reel, clipped to D-ring on left chest. SMB, clipped to butt D-ring on BC.

Probably at least ten ways to do it, some permanently attach the smb too.

I like the patina on that spool. It has seen some use.

I just clip it to a D ring. I rarely take it--only if it a shore dive that I know or suspect has a strong current at one point (or of course on charter boat dives).

What are you carrying?
Do you have the expandable one?
Same as I would carry in my 2 regular pockets.
Spare mask, spare cutting tool, spare light, spare mouth piece, wetnotes, flat tool to adjust tank bands, zipties, and sometimes spare spool

What are you carrying?
Do you have the expandable one?

See below for a good response. Yes I have the expandable one but think XDeep made them a bit small. Just the spare mask wetnotes and backup torch can take up all the space.

Same as I would carry in my 2 regular pockets.
Spare mask, spare cutting tool, spare light, spare mouth piece, wetnotes, flat tool to adjust tank bands, zipties, and sometimes spare spool

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom