"hinged" or OBP fins or Splits...what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kd5izq

Reaction score
Hey everybody! There's kind of a debate going on with several of us new guys and while granted there's probably more important things to debate on we're trying to decide where to spend of alotment of money on fins. Splits, which I have heard many say are very efficient and help increase your speed though some say for manuvering or pivoting while hovering vertically there are better choices. All of this as opposed to the Dacor (tiger or pangther) or Mares (volo) "hinged" or OBP fins, which we have heard are very efficient, though not quite as much of a help with speed as splits. I know that in rec. diving speed is not that much of an issue, but you know how these things go. We would love to have your input.

Opinions differ, but I don't believe anyone has a better fin than Jet Fins. They are efficient, last almost forever (I'm on my second pair because my first set was stolen in 1990) and are not expensive.

I have heard good things about those as well and that may be something we look into as well. Thanks for the input.

I just went from a pair of Dacor Panthers,(which have a tendency to break) to a pair of Tusa Split fins, and am thinking about yet another pair of fins for use with my drysuit...

The first couple dives I made with the split fins was miserable! Seemed like I couldn't get anywhere, and they seem to darn soft. On about dive #5 with them I finally got it sorted out, and had a couple good dives. But I'm thinking they're too darn soft for drysuit diving, and I may go find a pair of jet fins to wear with it.

Do NOT confuse Dacor Tiger fins with Panthers. The panthers are just not up to par with the Tigers, and most of the panther fins I have seen tend to break up high in the fin when used. At least one of mine is beginning to show a stress point there. I was talking to the owner of a diveshop in Ft. Lauderdale in January, and mentioned the Panther fin, she immediately asked me if mine had broken?

Just my two cents worth, and limited experience talking here, take it for what it's worth

I'm hearing that alot in the posts on the Panthers, and I've pm'd on person in particular that, from the math I did, has had their Panthers for about a year or so now to see what kind of experience they've had long term. This is one of those times when I though I might have done enough research to determine that the Panthers would be worth the $70 dollars I spent on them. Perhaps not, perhaps so. One thing is for sure, you gotta love this board and the people in it. Talk about real world responses. Thanks gang and keep the input coming.

I have been using my Dacor Tigers for almost 3 years. There was a recall of the first generation of Tigers, Panthers and Volos due to hinge failure, but that was corrected in subsequent manufacturing runs.

Panthers, however, are noted for not handling current well: I have seen at two pairs that were damaged when called upon to perform in less-than-perfect conditions. In both cases it was the blade of the fin itself that gave way and not the hinge.

So far I have used the Tigers in cold fresh water to warm salt water; in calm water & current. I find them excellent.

Meanwhile, in November both Pearce and I had an opportunity to use Scubapro split fins. (Pearce usually wears Mares Quattros.) Neither of us liked the split fins! Not only was there the issue of not being able to use different finning techniques, but we honestly found them harder to use than either OPB or traditional paddle fins. We just didn't seem get any thrust out of them.

So there's my $.02's worth!

~SubMariner~

I had the same debate with fins splits or blade? went down to my LDS tried every pair they had bought the Quattros! I am a pretty big guy 6'2, 220lbs just felt I had a little more power and stability with the Quattos. my 2 cents

Thanks to everyone for the great information. I have definitely learned that fins are a great deal of personal opinion. The one thing I know for sure is that you can hear a lot of different opinions on this board that are invaluable when making equipment decisions and diving choices. Thank you all for your help.

splits just plain suck they are nothing more then a marketing gimick for a set of overpriced fins (TUSA), and besides that in a current you are SOL and you couldnt turn to save your life, where as with a tiger you can pivot and move quite well in a current or just a normal lake.

When i was in mexico last weekend we ran into the scubalab testers who were doing there yearly biased review of fins, and again this year split fins won, but only because of the money that rodales is getting to rate them higher, to go even farther we asked them about force fins since thats what our group dives, and we didnt even get a word in before one of them opened there mouth and said force fins suck, and all of us retorked at this person in how they suck. the online line we could get out of them was that these caused a increase in SAC and could move anything. which is complete bull because i have posted a story on here on how with a std frog kick i out kicked to other people with very little effort. the reason that the biased scuba lab says they suck is because that force fins require a different kick to get the most out of them (ie only kicking from the knees to go forward and the ankles to go backward) and with a standard flutter kick you lose alot of power because you direct it straight down instead of behind you. also as for the supposed increase SAC, well i can tell you thats just plain wrong and have the dive profiles and computer files to prove it ,

For example the first dive of the day i was using a pair of cresi space frogs and my BP (BP = is almost equal to the amount of psi a minute, but not quite the same, if you wnat a comparision go look on cochrans website for the info on how the BP is determined) was hovering in the high 20's (started in the low 30's) and then on the second dive switched to a pair of force fin pros and the dive started in the mid 20's and averaged around 16 -18 throught the dive and when doing my saftey stop it went as low as 12 (avg 14) and that is the lowest it has ever been.

and this is why bob evans the owner and designer of force fins is suing rodales for false advertising and fraud. and because of this you can bet that evans will own rodales once this goes to the judge.wacko:

BTW if you dont believe me on Force fins and live in the DFW PM me and when terrel warms up would be glad to show you.

FWIW

Scubatooth once bubbled...
splits just plain suck they are nothing more then a marketing gimick for a set of overpriced fins (TUSA), and besides that in a current you are SOL and you couldnt turn to save your life, where as with a tiger you can pivot and move quite well in a current or just a normal lake.

When i was in mexico last weekend we ran into the scubalab testers who were doing there yearly biased review of fins, and again this year split fins won, but only because of the money that rodales is getting to rate them higher,

and this is why bob evans the owner and designer of force fins is suing rodales for false advertising and fraud. and because of this you can bet that evans will own rodales once this goes to the judge.wacko:
FWIW

I am admittedly no expert on fins, but isn't your opinion on force fins just as biased as anyone else's opinion on split fins?

Also, as Rodales is merely providing an opinion of what they like best, biased or not, how could they possibly be liable for fraud? And they certainly aren't doing any advertising for force fins to be deceptively advertising.

We all have opinions. Many come here to see what other's opinions are. I do. I would rather hear everyone's personal opinions, and not beratings of others' opinions.

My $0.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom