SeeAir - what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I saw this and I think that it is a very interesting concept. Not sure that this is right for this forum. Mods, feel free to move it.

Normally, when something like this is discussed, there is a lot of immediate pushback because we are all so used to the clever gadget that Cousteau offered us in the 1940s, the open circuit regulator. But before anyone points out that "this would be useless for me because most of my dives are to the 300 foot range on hypoxic trimix", check it out with an open mind. Sure, it doesn't replace standard scuba gear, but I can see applications where it would be great. Seems like a big upgrade over standard hookah systems in terms of design, portability and cost.

Of course, the devil is in the details, and how effectively this thing can actually pump air. And maybe it’s a vaporware scam, which will never actually be possible because of engineering constraints…!

But let’s just assume that it works more or less as advertised. Maybe there has been some sort of advanced in pump efficiency or something. Here are two of the problems that I see, but they don't seem unsurmountable.

1) Pump failure - if the device stops working because it runs out of power, floods, or for some other reason, you have one option - CESA. With a maximum depth of 36 feet, and no deco obligation, shouldn't be a big problem. Just stay out of overhead envirotnments...

2) Deco - the sizzle reel says that you can dive for 5 hours with a full charge. Leaving aside the potential boredom of spending 5 hours in a limited range, I ran some numbers with MultiDeco. Using gradient factors of 30/70, that give me 56 minutes of deco at 10 feet. 17 minutes using VPM-B at +3. But dialing that back to a reasonable 2 hours seems to take care of that problem. Maybe go shallower later in the dive if you really need to test the battery life!

I can see this being very valuable for long, shallow macro photo dives, where you need to sit and wait for your shot for a long time without covering a lot of ground. Or for working dives like hull maintenance, scientific surveys, etc... Or for places where tank fills are a problem. Remote areas, long boating trips, etc... Gotta get your weighting right, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Reactions: OTF
There are tons of these on the market already. They have their uses.

Right, it’s a hookah system. But this seems like a fairly good implementation of one, better than the others that I have seen.

1) Pump failure - if the device stops working because it runs out of power, floods, or for some other reason, you have one option - CESA. With a maximum depth of 36 feet, and no deco obligation, shouldn't be a big problem. Just stay out of overhead envirotnments...

One of those edge cases where a "Spare Air" is probably a well balanced option - excluding deco, but maybe enough for a slow(er) ascent.

One of those edge cases where a "Spare Air" is probably a well balanced option - excluding deco, but maybe enough for a slow(er) ascent.

Yup, that makes sense.

Even with no formal deco environment, a rapid ascent with any sort of significant N2 loading probably has some risk of decompression stress. Not to mention that this might be used by inexperienced divers, who could potentially panic and forget to exhale on ascent, with the risk of pulmonary barotrauma. This might be the one application where Spare Air would be as good as if not better than a pony bottle.

Of course, the devil is in the details, and how effectively this thing can actually pump air. And maybe it’s a vaporware scam, which will never actually be possible because of engineering constraints…!
Devil aplenty:

70,ooo mAh battery. (10x8x8”, 60#)
5 hrs running a pump to 12 meters? If you say so.
A human depicted carrying it like a six pack of Coors.

The weight/size/displacement flotation required would make it the 2x the size of a Labradoodle.

The required (thru hull) heat exchanger to avoid melt-down will add 1/2° temperature to global warming

No dive flag on the schnorkel?

Elon Musk is going to buy their engineers.

You guys got lost, yet again, in the safety arguments.
These are nothing new.
Browne’s Third Lung, or Johnson Outboard’s AIR BUOY