The future of dive travel vs local diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We recently had the dozenth dozenth repeat of the "Seaway" series on TV, I love that show

I did almost thirty years cold, same sort of latitude and diving as California but in the other hemishphere
Then 20 years in warm like diving in a cup of tea, used to fall asleep, but then I can fall asleep in cold too

Now back to cold and it couldn't be cooler, the cold, angry cold all year all seasons cold Southern Ocean

But nothing like Norway

M*********t!

Can you say what you just said in plain English please?

I have a lot of mixed feelings on the subject. First off, I think that community has way under emphasized the health of the oceans. On the other hand, anyone who grew up in the 70s and ever drove through LA, Pittsburg, Boston, Chicago etc, knows that the air quality is 100 times better today. I think we should keep making incremental improvements over time but let the technology develop at a natural pace. Plane travel isn't changing for many years.

destination diving won't go away, everybody still wants warm/clear water and lots of colorful critters/coral. it will just shrink or only cater to the wealthy if it becomes unaffordable for the middle class.

the dedicated that want to do local diving in colder/rougher locales will keep doing it, but you won't see the travel/vacation divers switch over, they'll just stop diving.

it might be a moot point to worry about fossil fuel usage in 2040 and beyond anyways if WW3 breaks out in the next decade

destination diving won't go away, everybody still wants warm/clear water and lots of colorful critters/coral. it will just shrink or only cater to the wealthy if it becomes unaffordable for the middle class.

the dedicated that want to do local diving in colder/rougher locales will keep doing it, but you won't see the travel/vacation divers switch over, they'll just stop diving.

it might be a moot point to worry about fossil fuel usage in 2040 and beyond anyways if WW3 breaks out in the next decade
Destination diving won’t go away, but it may possibly become an activity for the wealthiest divers who have the financial means to privately charter special trips to the most remote and undamaged reefs systems in the world.
Survival of the richest.
The other possibility, actually it’s not a possibility it’s already happening, and that is the decline of the worlds coral reefs. In ten or twenty years will there be anything to see besides a bunch of broken down dead coral and rubble?

People can deny it all they want, but that isn’t going to stop the governments of the world lead by the US to begin curbing the use of fossil fuels.
I’ll warn you now, if Gavin Newsom becomes president you guys better watch it because he will fast track all of his green plans and getting rid of fossil fuels is top on the list. They have already taken so much away from us. I can’t get basic paint thinner, turpentine, denatured alcohol, xylene, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc. they’ve taken all that away. Next will be no gas powered cars, and after that probably diesel. Jet fuel isn’t far behind.
The militaries will always have petroleum based fuels, we know that, but they will begin to make fossil fuels and products very expensive for the rest of us (they already have).
Even at 3.5% or whatever statistic was thrown out there for jet travel and fuel usage, nothing is immune to restrictions. What I’m talking about is all politically motivated. I’m sure the Earth has plenty of oil for a very long time but I’m not talking about a shortage, I’m talking about the powers that be clamping down on it’s use.
I don’t particularly care for it happening, I’d like to begin traveling someday when I finally can and experience warm water again, but I’m afraid by the time I can I won’t even be able to get there.

Using SUVs and giant pickup trucks for single passenger commutes.
I commute in my truck when the weather doesn't allow for me to ride in. I don't mine getting wet, but I work in electronics and 115 vac 400 hz mixes a little too well with wet humans...

I also can't understand how people who dive cold water can do so out of a car. For a single dive I load up the back of my truck with gear and the tetris required for doing so in a car hurts my brain.
destination diving won't go away, everybody still wants warm/clear water and lots of colorful critters/coral.
I like my drab cold water landscape better than pretty corals and fish. PNW over Guam, Hawaii, Florida, or the southern east coast imo

I commute in my truck when the weather doesn't allow for me to ride in. I don't mine getting wet, but I work in electronics and 115 vac 400 hz mixes a little too well with wet humans...

I also can't understand how people who dive cold water can do so out of a car. For a single dive I load up the back of my truck with gear and the tetris required for doing so in a car hurts my brain.

I like my drab cold water landscape better than pretty corals and fish. PNW over Guam, Hawaii, Florida, or the southern east coast imo
I could do a day of local diving out of a car no problem. Two tanks and my stuff fits in a duffel bag in the trunk. Add a cooler and a spear gun and it may get little cramped but it could work.
I use my 4Runner right now, and if it’s an urchin day I use my Tacoma. I pulled the passengers seat out and I use the floor area for tanks and gear, and the bed is filled with 33 gallon trash cans completely filled with urchins.

Destination diving won’t go away, but it may possibly become an activity for the wealthiest divers who have the financial means to privately charter special trips to the most remote and undamaged reefs systems in the world.
Survival of the richest.
The other possibility, actually it’s not a possibility it’s already happening, and that is the decline of the worlds coral reefs. In ten or twenty years will there be anything to see besides a bunch of broken down dead coral and rubble?

People can deny it all they want, but that isn’t going to stop the governments of the world lead by the US to begin curbing the use of fossil fuels.
I’ll warn you now, if Gavin Newsom becomes president you guys better watch it because he will fast track all of his green plans and getting rid of fossil fuels is top on the list. They have already taken so much away from us. I can’t get basic paint thinner, turpentine, denatured alcohol, xylene, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc. they’ve taken all that away. Next will be no gas powered cars, and after that probably diesel. Jet fuel isn’t far behind.
The militaries will always have petroleum based fuels, we know that, but they will begin to make fossil fuels and products very expensive for the rest of us (they already have).
Even at 3.5% or whatever statistic was thrown out there for jet travel and fuel usage, nothing is immune to restrictions. What I’m talking about is all politically motivated. I’m sure the Earth has plenty of oil for a very long time but I’m not talking about a shortage, I’m talking about the powers that be clamping down on it’s use.
I don’t particularly care for it happening, I’d like to begin traveling someday when I finally can and experience warm water again, but I’m afraid by the time I can I won’t even be able to get there.
Gavin Newsom - approves a plan to ban the sale of new gasoline cars in California and a week later in a heat wave asks residents not to charge their EV's between 4 and 9 PM as the power grid can't support it (and is far from being able to). You couldn't make this crap up....

Gavin Newsom - approves a plan to ban the sale of new gasoline cars in California and a week later in a heat wave asks residents not to charge their EV's between 4 and 9 PM as the power grid can't support it (and is far from being able to). You couldn't make this crap up....
He’s angling to be way more than just an American President, he want’s to be a major global influencer against the gas and oil industries world wide. He’s already acting like some world dignitary meeting with heads of state galavanting around the world getting all his photo ops, and he’s nothing more than a third rate governor of California. He’s not even a national figure yet, but he thinks he is. Talk about an out of control ego!
I’m warning all of you, go ahead and vote for him if that’s what you want. You think what I’m telling you is far fetched about fuel? Guess again.

Back
Top Bottom