SeeAir - what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not saying it will ever be made, but they could use 21700 cells and get by with 72 of them, That is only 15 pounds of battery pack. It could be a diaphragm pump which makes considerably less heat than a piston design.
The page says it weighs 12.75kg (29 pounds).

Of greater concern is "Air Supply Volume 56L/min" (2 cfm). Typical hookah systems provide 2-5x that volume. It would take very little exertion to overbreathe this at 12m.

Reactions: Doc
The page says it weighs 12.75kg (29 pounds).

Of greater concern is "Air Supply Volume 56L/min" (2 cfm). Typical hookah systems provide 2-5x that volume. It would take very little exertion to overbreathe this at 12m.

Yeah, that I'm not sure about. Most of the other hookah systems I have seen are for more than one diver, while this is clearly not for more than one diver.

Typical tidal volume for an adult is 5-8 liters per minute resting, 12 with light exercise. But I believe it can go up to 100 LPM during heavy exercise. Someone must have data for that with typical diving, and not running a marathon...

Now I don't know how they calculate that rate, or if it is normalized for depth, etc... but it does seem that that would be adequate, even if not normalized, staying above 2 ATA, right? Again, this isn't for everything, and certianly not for dives involving heavy work or exertion.

It does look interesting! If I'd had it 15 or so years ago when I was doing algae surveys for CariComp, I could have really benefitted from such a device... I guess we could have used hookah, but we were just using plain old tanks like St Jacques of Cousteau intended! :wink:

🐸

Yeah, that I'm not sure about. Most of the other hookah systems I have seen are for more than one diver, while this is clearly not for more than one diver.

Typical tidal volume for an adult is 5-8 liters per minute resting, 12 with light exercise. But I believe it can go up to 100 LPM during heavy exercise. Someone must have data for that with typical diving, and not running a marathon...

Now I don't know how they calculate that rate, or if it is normalized for depth, etc... but it does seem that that would be adequate, even if not normalized, staying above 2 ATA, right? Again, this isn't for everything, and certianly not for dives involving heavy work or exertion.

Breathing Gas Needs: How Much Air is Required to Ventilate Lungs?​

Depth (Feet)Environmental Pressure
(Atmospheres)
Breathing gas Needs (Liters per minute)
At restLight to moderate activityVigorous exercise
0 feet (Surface)1 ATM8 lpm20 lpm70 lpm
30 feet2 ATM16 lpm40 lpm140 lpm
100 feet4 ATM32 lpm80 lpm280 lpm

Right, I'm just not sure from those limited promotional materials if they are measuring output at the second stage normalized for depth or not. For a scuba tank, there is no ambiguity, but for a hookah system, you need to specify that...

Right, I'm just not sure from those limited promotional materials if they are measuring output at the second stage normalized for depth or not. For a scuba tank, there is no ambiguity, but for a hookah system, you need to specify that...
I looked at several hookah systems and the air delivery spec is always at the surface.

This thing is a toy. If they can deliver what they have promised, it will be fine for looking around in shallow water. But that's about it. Don't expect it to provide enough air for working situations like cleaning boat bottoms or serious harvesting.

I looked at several hookah systems and the air delivery spec is always at the surface.

This thing is a toy. If they can deliver what they have promised, it will be fine for looking around in shallow water. But that's about it. Don't expect it to provide enough air for working situations like cleaning boat bottoms or serious harvesting.

I think that "looking around in shallow water" describes about 95% of the recreational scuba market. I mean, I'm not sure I would call it a "toy" just because it might not let you do "serious" work.

Sort of like how the Apple Dive watch got a lot of pushback from technical divers because it didn't do this or that or the other thing. We tend to forget that if you add together tech divers, scientific divers, and working divers together, they sum up to a rounding error in the context of a product that has shipped nearly 200 million units.

Here's another look at the volume requirements. The attached paper defines the work levels in ways that are easily understood. They used a treadmill set at 3.3mph/5.3kmh and varied the grade. Here are their definitions and findings:

Light work (target 40% VO2max) - heart rate 99 ± 9 bpm, average grade 1.5%
minute ventilation mean (SD) = 30.3 (6.2) L/min

Medium work (target 60% VO2max) - heart rate 122 ± 13 bpm, average grade 7%
minute ventilation mean (SD) = 47.4 (13.5) L/min

Heavy work (target 80% VO2max) - heart rate 150 ± 15 bpm, average grade 12.5%
minute ventilation mean (SD) = 72.3 (22.9) L/min

Which suggests that this thing would fail to provide sufficient air to most people at its rated depth even if all they are doing is continuous finning.

Attachments

• JISRP_PeakInspiratoryFlows.pdf
    206 KB · Views: 93
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom