"hinged" or OBP fins or Splits...what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both USD Blades and Aqualung V-TEK Splits. I think for the most part I like the splits better. They are eay to use have good speed and I don't have a problem with frog kicks or helicopter turns. That said I'll think twice before useing them on a dive with surge or current again.

Geek

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

The correct procedure for this is to wear the fins on your hands and flutter. LOL

Mike,

You need to clean out your closet, Call Ebay.

Personally, I am using paddle fins. Some divers love their splits, and as I have indicated, some have ditched theirs.

I don't know exactly what kind of finning technique you teach, but my style would not work with any really soft fin, split or not. I must be a stop and go driver too.

leadweight once bubbled...

Mike,

You need to clean out your closet, Call Ebay.

Personally, I am using paddle fins. Some divers love their splits, and as I have indicated, some have ditched theirs.

I don't know exactly what kind of finning technique you teach, but my style would not work with any really soft fin, split or not. I must be a stop and go driver too.

Speaking of cleaning out my closet I did put all that stuff on e-bay a few weeks ago and nothing sold. I put everything on for my cost an not a nickle more and still nothing sold.

For another view of fins, why not take a look at the UK website Divernet. Click on the "Equipment" button third down in the left-hand nav.

They did a fin review a couple of months ago at the request of the guy who came up with the idea of split fins - I think he calls his company Natures Wing and he licenced the idea to all the manufacturers.

The review is pretty comprehensive. Using a scientific approach, they asked the manufacturers to send what they thought were their best fins. Interesting that Mares and Dacor declined to include their Volo and Tiger fins respectively.

The Divernet test was done in a pool. This changes the results. An independent test in open water gave much worse results for the popular Mares Quattro's.

leadweight once bubbled...
The Divernet test was done in a pool. This changes the results. An independent test in open water gave much worse results for the popular Mares Quattro's.

Fair comment leadweight

So would you recommend split fins over the Avanti Quattros. I had my heart set on a pair of Tigers/Volos until Dacor/Mares declined to include them in the Diver Magazine tests. Avanti Quattros were my second choice

Nothing like a manufacturers' lack of confidence in their own product to put you off buying them...

...or are they worth buying anyway?

I haven't bought yet but plan to do so withing the next couple of weeks.

I have both SP twin Jets and the original Jet fins. The Jets were my first purchase and they are great. On the other hand, the twin jets are also great. They are so different that you almost can't compare the two. The jets are much more accomodating to different kicking styles but the twin jets are just sooo much easier to push through the water and not near as tiring. Just my 2 cents

pcscuba once bubbled...
I have both SP twin Jets and the original Jet fins..... but the twin jets are just sooo much easier to push through the water and not near as tiring. Just my 2 cents

What color are your Twinjets?

....They seem to produce good thrust with a minimum of effort and fatigue on the toes as compared with fixed fins.

In a current, however, MORE kicking doesn't seem to help. You simply must relax and proceed in a leisurly manner. Not optimum.

I don't see any wear yet.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom