Here she comes....Vandenberg!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks to me like both dishes broke off and floated for a bit just before the stern went under. The larger dish was definitely sitting on the surface for quite some time after the rest of the ship went under.

Well heck...then I guess I'll have to sneak down to 130-140 to see them!

Thanks for the videos all! Great stuff!

It looks to me like both dishes broke off and floated for a bit just before the stern went under. The larger dish was definitely sitting on the surface for quite some time after the rest of the ship went under.

I think you are right, I just watched the last video and I think I saw the same thing.

Thats too bad, they would have been pretty cool to see underwater. Like someone else said though, the first big storm would have broken them off anyway.

Then we all need to get out there fast! Who is the best dive operation to go out?

Then we all need to get out there fast! Who is the best dive operation to go out?

read back through this thread and see what charters are "up pricing" (jacking up the price) to screw customers for a trip that's the same distance as their normal trips for $25 to $50 more, then choose one that doesn't practice that.... :D

How to I embed youtube vids on this site? On another site we have tags for it although I don't know if it's the same here.

Put the youtube video ID inside the bracketed tags.

This: [yt]oi01hto716c[/yt]

Yields this:

Wow what a day! I had the honor to be on the first dive team.

This is what I can unofficially tell you:keel down on bottom, pretty level, yes dishes did break lose and are on the deck. 150 to 155 to sand on the starboard side. I went to max planned dive depth of 140 and I was at least 10 to 15 ft above sand.

1215 1 buddy team drops in to "assess conditions" (Joe Weatherby, the man who started the ball rolling 13 years ago)

1245 4 teams of 3 to verify detinations. My team had starboard midship to stern. The bottom row of holes are at 140. they are nice sqares about 3 1/2 x 3 1/2. They were not as sharp as I was told to expect. A couple of them I could see straight thru to port side.

As far as when it will be open for business, I am hearing that they may need to adress the radar domes first.

On a personal note: This day and dive brings my 13 years in Key West to an end. I am taking my nursing board exam in Lauderdale at 0800 tomorrow morning and then moving to Lubbock Tx. What a way to go out!

Congrats Joe

Safe dives
trtldvr
www.divealive.org

Thanks so much for dedicating the time to do the Reefing and then go do nursing board. I wish you best of luck. It is a shame about the dishes. But good thing it happened now than with a diver in the middle or below it. Things happen. Good Luck Again!!

Thanks turtlediver.

Do you have some depths that you can share for us? i.e., top of the infrastructure, the main deck, etc?

TIA.

Diving operations are supposed to be allowed as of tomorrow. Dive prices on the island are as follows and these are just for Tanks & Weights....

Dive Key West- $125
Subtropic-$85-100
Lost Reef- UNK
Captains Corner- $65

You dont have the pay the most money to get the best dive trip. Call around to the shops and ask them what their trip times are, and what type of diving they will allow. Captains Corner is the only dive operation on the island that is going to be allowing full tec as of now.

I still have 1BR in the townhouse available until Monday morning if anyone is interested at $50 a night to come down and dive the Vandenberg

2 questions.

Question 1:
Did they leave the prop/screw on it? ( I heard rumor it was removed and then another one that it was "welded in place" to keep it from being removed or turning).

question 2:
so what are plans on the "dishes"? are they just going to leave them up there, which will likely result in a storm blowing them over the side? (I figured the dishes would get damaged anyway as soon as the first big tropical storm/hurricane hit). Or are they going to strap/cable them down to try to keep them on the top of the ship?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom