Here she comes....Vandenberg!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some pics that Steven Frink took....

StephenFrink_Vandenberg_05.jpg

StephenFrink_Vandenberg_141.jpg

StephenFrink_Vandenberg_40.jpg

StephenFrink_Vandenberg_30.jpg

StephenFrink_Vandenberg_66.jpg

StephenFrink_Vandenberg_121.jpg

2 questions.

Question 1:
Did they leave the prop/screw on it? ( I heard rumor it was removed and then another one that it was "welded in place" to keep it from being removed or turning).

question 2:
so what are plans on the "dishes"? are they just going to leave them up there, which will likely result in a storm blowing them over the side? (I figured the dishes would get damaged anyway as soon as the first big tropical storm/hurricane hit). Or are they going to strap/cable them down to try to keep them on the top of the ship?

Originally they had the dishes chained down to the deck. They're going to have to come up with a new plan, I think...

Prop is gone. And we are still in meeting of the great minds to do something about the dishs.

why was the prop removed? (just curious....)

EDIT: Nevermind... found the answer in post #171 of this thread.

Oceanus:
Reefmakers had planned to display the one (and only) propeller on land, but it was sold off by the same shipyard that put her up for auction and there was nothing that could be done at the time

Ok... next question.

I found a bunch of pics where they were installing camera in housing mounting them to the deck before the sinking....

Anyone know the details on this? Is this for an upcoming Dicovery channel type show?

weather.com has some video of the sinking from the air and from the on board cameras. I cant post links because I dont have 5 posts...

weather.com has some video of the sinking from the air and from the on board cameras. I cant post links because I dont have 5 posts...

wouldn't have figured they would have had a hand in filming the sinking at the weather channel... oh well....

Thanks for the info.

here's the link to the video that has the underwater deck cameras as she goes down. (click the maximize video for a larger image)

Vandenberg sinking video on weather.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom