Help with my first Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One other thing to consider. By your own admission, you are just starting out in this sport. For many of us, the type of diving and the equipment that we use 5, or 10 years or maybe even longer will be different than how we dove and the equipment that met our needs when we started.

Most respectable gear manufacturers will produce gear such as regs or BCDs for example that, with regular routine maintenance will last for several years. To be pushed toward a significantly more expensive product simply because "it will last longer" is not something that a reputable dive shop would do. There will, of course be different features in one model or line than will be available in another model, but a well maintained reg or BCD should last for several years.

I think you have a reasonable starter's setup. I only dislike your BCD selection.

I may dislike it as well…but during my pool work the over the left shoulder BCD hose kept pissing me off “getting in the way”. My instructor dives an i3 as do several other instructors at the shop. When I mentioned out of the blue the hose was pissing me off they all smiled and said “yup”. Additionally this was a like new trade in from one of those instructors who lost weight and downsized. So nice discount and low dollar risk to try it.

One other thing to consider. By your own admission, you are just starting out in this sport. For many of us, the type of diving and the equipment that we use 5, or 10 years or maybe even longer will be different than how we dove and the equipment that met our needs when we started.

That was how I convinced myself my BCD and comp choice wasn’t the end of the world if I got wrong 😂😂

I may dislike it as well…but during my pool work the over the left shoulder BCD hose kept pissing me off “getting in the way”. My instructor dives an i3 as do several other instructors at the shop. When I mentioned out of the blue the hose was pissing me off they all smiled and said “yup”. Additionally this was a like new trade in from one of those instructors who lost weight and downsized. So nice discount and low dollar risk to try it.
How was the LPI hose secured to your BCD? That shouldn't be an issue at all. You don't leave it flopping around.

I'll be curious on your thoughts when (if) you take rescue and go through the panicked diver at the surface scenario.

How was the LPI hose secured to your BCD? That shouldn't be an issue at all. You don't leave it flopping around.

It and the snorkel were fighting for space on the left side of my neck/shoulder. I intend to chuck the snorkel as soon as I do my certs…but it’s required during class so I’m in a catch-22.

It and the snorkel were fighting for space on the left side of my neck/shoulder. I intend to chuck the snorkel as soon as I do my certs…but it’s required during class so I’m in a catch-22.
It is common for people to mix those up. However, this is an equipment problem, not an LPI one. A properly secured/configured LPI is unlikely to be mixed up with a snorkel. Just one reason why I teach BP/W for open water.

EDIT: I really hate snorkels. If you are going to have one, have a collapsible one that you can store in a pocket. As I don't surface swim through kelp beds, I have never found a use for them.

EDIT: I really hate snorkels. If you are going to have one, have a collapsible one that you can store in a pocket. As I don't surface swim through kelp beds, I have never found a use for them.
I’ve never seen one piece of gear like snorkels cause so much brouhaha!
Yes snorkels are useful for navigating through kelp whilst surface swimming on your belly. They are also good for long surface swims where one chooses to swim out on their belly and save air.
Surface swimming face down in a BP/W is more efficient than swimming on your back because (a) you can see where you’re going by popping your head once in a while up or looking at your compass instead of needing to crane your neck to see where you’re headed, and (b) you’re not dragging a tank that’s hanging down through the water. Your front side is more slick than your backside for slipstreaming (if you’re in a plate and simple harness).
But honestly, you might think I’m some sort of snorkel zealot, I’m really not, but if the situation calls for it I have absolutely no reservations using one. I have not used one now shore diving on our coast in a long time due to there is no kelp. I also never use one boat diving or kayak diving. So I’m not in the camp of “always have a snorkel on no matter what!”. Just like I get concerned from the anti snorkel crowd when I hear “useless!” and “never use a snorkel!”.
A new diver very well may have a need for a snorkel occasionally, so making them feel stupid that they use a snorkel, or a snorkel is for newbies and they will eventually see the light and get rid of it, or saying a snorkel is always worthless is really irresponsible IMO.

I’ve never seen one piece of gear like snorkels cause so much brouhaha!
Split fins? :wink:
Yes snorkels are useful for navigating through kelp whilst surface swimming on your belly.
Agreed
They are also good for long surface swims where one chooses to swim out on their belly and save air.
Surface swimming face down in a BP/W is more efficient than swimming on your back because (a) you can see where you’re going by popping your head once in a while up or looking at your compass instead of needing to crane your neck to see where you’re headed, and (b) you’re not dragging a tank that’s hanging down through the water. Your front side is more slick than your backside for slipstreaming (if you’re in a plate and simple harness).
I agree it is more efficient. However, I find a motorcycle hand mirror super useful for keeping track of my buddies behind me, swimming on my back towards a target, and also checking myself out as I always look so good! (kidding)
But honestly, you might think I’m some sort of snorkel zealot, I’m really not, but if the situation calls for it I have absolutely no reservations using one. I have not used one now shore diving on our coast in a long time due to there is no kelp.
You're a zealot (kidding). Hey, it makes absolute sense for that.
I also never use one boat diving or kayak diving.
It is a rare exception to see people swimming face down when shore diving around here. A few dive sites (like Edmonds Underwater Park) have long surface swims, but most don't as it is a good way to get run over by a boat.
So I’m not in the camp of “always have a snorkel on no matter what!”
Understood
Just like I get concerned from the anti snorkel crowd when I hear “useless!” and “never use a snorkel!”.
It is useful for snorkeling! :wink: In all seriousness, when diving OC, I have a collapsible one in a pocket.
A new diver very well may have a need for a snorkel occasionally, so making them feel stupid that they use a snorkel, or a snorkel is for newbies and they will eventually see the light and get rid of it, or saying a snorkel is always worthless is really irresponsible IMO.
In most places, I would say they don't need it. However, it isn't a bad thing to have for an emergency. Case in point. If I were left at sea and I had to swim to land, I sure as Hell woudln't want to swim on my back, but on my stomach. But 99% of the time I don't need one. But there are scenarios where one is absolutely useful. I think it is because snorkels are rammed down our throats as must haves that there is this reaction. As I could easily teach open water to students without one. However, given that on rare occasion they would benefit from them, I would be shortchanging them if I didn't teach them how to use them properly.

Some instructors will do the minimum of have them use a snorkel on their first open water dive and then get rid of them. I disagree with that. I think they should be taught to remove their snorkel, store it, dive, on ascent restore it.

Exactly!

It is a self perpetuating myth and a fallacy that is promoted by people who have inadequate skin diving skills or didn't learn proper skin diving skills or people who are technical divers that dive in overhead environments that try to force their opinions on others.

I dive with a snorkel every single dive I do except when diving in an overhead environment. Even when diving from a boat, I use a snorkel. Anytime I am on the surface, I am using a snorkel. Perhaps one can get away swimming on the surface with their regulator but when they are low on air, for any reason, a snorkel is a God's sent. I have been diving for so long and all over the world and I have been/seen situation where not having a snorkel on the surface was a big issue and when having a snorkel was a life saver.

Back
Top Bottom